The standards committee
We have a standards committee which promotes high standards of conduct in the council. The committee assists and advises councillors and the council on ethical issues; monitors the operation of our code of conduct; and, where necessary, determines complaints that councillors may have breached the code.
The standards committee has five elected council members:
- County councillor Andrew Goss
- County councillor Helen Grant
- County councillor David Jeffels
- County councillor Caroline Patmore
- County councillor Peter Sowray
Also invited to meetings of the committee are:
- Mrs Hilary Gilbertson MBE, independent person for standards; and
- Ms Louise Holroyd, independent person for standards.
The independent persons for standards are consulted on all key standards issues.
The standards committee is responsible for all functions of the council relating to ethical standards, including:
- Exercising all functions in respect of the publication of independent person for standards' vacancies (sub-delegated to the monitoring officer, in consultation with the chair of the committee);
- Assisting in the recruitment of independent persons for standards to the standards committee (but not approving individual appointments); and
- Assisting where requested in the designation and handling of persistent and/or vexatious complaints and complainants.
The standards committee is supported in its work to uphold high ethical standards by the monitoring officer, who has a key role in relation to the ethical agenda.
See the minutes, agendas and reports page for standards committee agenda, reports and minutes.
We publish a standards bulletin. You can download the latest copy below.