Link to homepage

Data protection

The Data Protection Act gives you rights over your personal data and imposes obligations on organisations like the council.

You have the right to ask to see the personal information the council holds about you. You just need to complete a word icon subject access request [101kb].

You will usually need to pdf icon provide proof of your identity [11kb] and address and may need to pay a fee of up to £10, but we will tell you if this is the case. We do not charge for access to social care records, educational records or personnel records.

Upon receipt of a request, we will collect the requested information and send you a copy as soon as possible and in not more than 40 days.

You can request information on someone else's behalf, but we will need their written consent. You can also request information on behalf of someone who is unable to ask, for example a child for whom you have parental responsibility.

If you ask for information about another person that might infringe their privacy, we will usually tell them about the request to help us decide whether it is fair to provide the information. If you request information that has been given to us by another organisation, such as the NHS or a school, we will usually tell them.

In some circumstances, we may not be able to provide all the information you request. Reasons for this are explained in the pdf icon North Yorkshire County Council's procedure and appeals under the Data Protection Act 1998 [59kb] document.

Data protection - frequently asked questions

Useful downloads

This page was last updated on 13 September 2013