Libraries - local collections
We provide access to records, resources and services to enable you to research local and regional history.
The resources available include:
- Access to local history websites using library computers;
- Electoral rolls and poll books;
- Help with genealogy and family history;
- Historic local newspapers on microfilm;
- Local census information;
- Parish register records;
- Property history;
- Trade directories;
- Access to Ancestry.com and FindMyPast.co.uk via our people's network computers based in each library;
- Access to Newsstand that provides national and regional current and back copy newspapers; and
- Access to the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography contains 50,000 biographies of people who shaped the history of the British Isles and beyond, from the earliest times to the present. Available in libraries and remotely via DNB Online (library card number and PIN required).
We have also compiled information about a range of common subjects, which are summarised below.
Notable people from North Yorkshire
We have compiled some biographical notes of notable men and women with connections to North Yorkshire.
Researching family history
Tracing your family history is an interesting and rewarding hobby. We have produced some guidance to family history research to help get you started.
Researching the history of a house
We have produced some guidance on researching the history of a house to get you started and provide information for you to continue your search.
Poll books and other electoral records
Poll books are a published record of those people who voted in county elections along with details of which candidate or candidates they had voted for. They were introduced in 1696 and ceased after secret balloting was introduced by the Act of 1872.
For a list of poll books and other electoral records that we hold and where they are located, see the electoral records page.
Historic local newspapers in North Yorkshire
Libraries continue to collect and preserve local newspapers, including the free advertisers. The historic local newspapers page lists all the collections we hold, including major historical titles relevant to the area.
Historic environment record
The North Yorkshire historic environment record is a system for recording information about historic sites and monuments, such as archaeological sites and finds, designated sites, historic landscapes and buildings and other landscape features.
See the historic environment record page for more details, including how to access the system.