Link to homepage

Death - tell us once

When someone dies, we can help you tell the people who need to know, including government departments and local council services.

Our tell us once service means that you can just tell us once and the following organisations will be contacted on your behalf.

  • Adult services
  • Blue badge parking permit
  • Child benefit
  • Child tax credit
  • Children's services
  • Collection of payment for council services
  • Concessionary bus passes
  • Council housing
  • Council tax
  • Council tax benefit office
  • Department for Work and Pensions, including the pensions, disability and carers service
  • Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) - drivers licences
  • Electoral services
  • Housing benefit office
  • Identity and Passport Service
  • Jobcentre Plus and the overseas health team
  • Library services
  • Ministry of Defence, Service Personnel and Veterans Agency, including War Pensions Scheme
  • Pension (public sector)
  • Personal taxation
  • Working tax credit

Other services you can notify - online only

  • Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) - registered keeper

When you make an appointment to register the death, the registrar will explain about the service so that you can use it immediately after the death is registered. Using tell us once is not compulsory.

Information you will need

It will help the registrar if you can bring with you the following information about the person who has died:

  • their national insurance number and date of birth;
  • details of benefits or services they were receiving;
  • their driving licence or driving licence number; and
  • their passport or passport number

We may also ask you for information about:

  • their next of kin;
  • any surviving husband, wife or civil partner; and
  • the person dealing with their estate.

Death - tell us once - frequently asked questions

This page was last updated on 22 February 2017