Link to homepage

Social care needs assessment

We can assess people over 18 who have, or appear to have, an illness or a disability and may benefit from receiving care services.

In an assessment, you say what you would like to be able to do, what you have difficulty doing and what help you need.

You or someone on your behalf (such as a doctor, nurse or therapist) can ask for an assessment. If you are already known to social care services, you can ask for a re-assessment if you think your needs have changed.

There is no charge for a needs assessment.

Request a needs assessment

You can complete a care and support initial assessment online quickly and easily here. It's available 24 hours a day. Once this is completed you will be able to submit your information to the care and support team who will get in touch to discuss your needs further.

AskSARA online self-assessment

You can use the free AskSARA online self-assessment tool to look into ways of helping yourself with daily activities in your own home. It is an alternative option to contacting us directly for a needs assessment.

If you are a carer, you can have a separate carer's assessment to see what help you need.

Charges you may have to pay for social care services

You will have to pay for some social care services you receive in the community or in social care housing, but others may be free or at a reduced level, depending on your financial circumstances.

The amount you have to pay is determined through a financial assessment. Information and advice is available to help you plan for the cost of your social care.

Social care needs assessment - frequently asked questions

This page was last updated on 27 September 2016