Link to homepage

Disabled people - independence at home

We can help disabled people regain their confidence and independence following an illness, injury or stay in hospital, and support relatives and carers.

Sight or hearing difficulties

If you have a sight or hearing difficulty, we can assess whether you would benefit from care services; request a needs assessment. We can also provide information and advice to help you to maintain your independence. The social care services officer will be able to provide training on specialist equipment which can help you in your everyday life. You can find more details on the disabled people - specialist equipment page. You can also contact us to discuss your needs further.

Following a stay in hospital

If you have recently had a stay in hospital, or are recovering after an illness or fall, you can also receive help from rehabilitation services. For more information, see our hospitalisation - help returning home page or contact us.


Telecare uses a range of sensors to assist you to live at home. They can be linked to a lifeline (a kind of telephone) that is used to summon help if it's needed. It can alert you to certain situations, for example, reminding you to take medication. It can also alert family, friends, carers or the emergency services to dangerous situations, for example, if you suffer a fall. For more information see our telecare page.

Support for carers

We work with carers' organisations across the county to offer information, advice and other services. There are four carers' centres and carers' resources that can help. They cover Hambleton and Richmondshire, Harrogate, Craven and Airedale, Scarborough and Ryedale, and Selby. See the carers' centres and carers' resources page for more details.

This page was last updated on 6 September 2013