Language and cultural support for children
Our English as an additional language team provides assessment, advice and support to schools admitting children who speak little or no English.
This may include additional funding for short-term teaching assistants, as well as training for teachers and teaching assistants. The team also supplies information on different cultural backgrounds and languages and helps staff to work with English as an additional language pupils in the mainstream.
The team has training and support packages and bilingual resources to help with home to school communications, and can suggest links for translation and interpretation skills. A home teaching project has recently been set up in which pre-school children and their carers are helped to develop their language skills.
The minority ethnic achievement network
The network works with youngsters from minority ethnic groups, including gypsy, Roma and traveller communities and speakers of English as an additional language. It provides support through staff based at our hub schools, who give advice and training to teachers and other professionals in your child's local school.
It will help you to:
- Understand the educational system;
- Get your child a place in a school or pre-school;
- Communicate with staff in schools, children's centres and other local services;
- Find English, literacy or numeracy classes or support for adults;
- Become involved in your child's school and the community; and
- Sort out problems with your child's school or within the community.
The professionals based in hub schools can help your child to:
- Settle into school;
- Understand and be involved in the school curriculum;
- Make friends and adapt to school routines;
- Make progress in school; and
- Find out about career and further education opportunities.
There are five minority ethnic achievement network hub schools in North Yorkshire:
- Thirsk and north
Telephone: 01609 533831 or 07967 295149
- Harrogate and Skipton
Telephone: 01423 506060
- Catterick and Richmond
Telephone: 01748 832292
- Selby and south
Telephone: 01757 702464
- Scarborough, Malton and coast
Telephone: 01723 363280
If you need advice, contact your nearest minority ethnic achievement hub school to arrange a meeting.
For local authority strategic and general minority ethnic achievement network issues please telephone 01609 798554 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.