Link to homepage

Roads - drains and gullies

When flooding happens, we need to make sure the water is cleared quickly and effectively from roads and pavements.

This can be helped by maintaining the road drainage systems that are intended to remove water efficiently from the road surface. But when this is not enough, we will take further measures to make sure roads stay open and safe.

Blocked gullies and general road flooding are our responsibility, rivers fall under the jurisdiction of the, Environment Agency - a 24-hour Floodline advice and information service is provided for floods and flood warnings. Roadside ditches and private sewers or drains are the responsibility of the landowner. The local water authority is responsible for public sewers and burst water mains, while town and district councils take responsibility for car parks and amenity areas. An overflowing manhole is our responsibility, possibly in conjunction with the local water authority.

During winter, all water/sewer leaks must be reported to us so that we can carry out winter maintenance.

Report a flooding or drainage issue online

If this issue is causing an immediate danger to the safety of road users, or poses a risk of internal flooding to property, it is classed as an emergency. You should contact us by telephone to report an emergency rather than using our online form. Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 8am - 5.30pm. Dial 999 if outside office hours for our emergency service.

You can tell us about a flooding or drainage issue by registering / logging in to the 'my account' section of the website. 'My account' also allows you to view details of services you have previously applied, booked and paid for. You can also see updates on their progress.

If you prefer, you can tell us about a flooding or drainage issue anonymously, but please be aware that you will miss out on the benefits of having an account ie. you will not receive progress updates.

You can provide feedback about your experience of reporting a flooding or drainage issue here.

Check the progress of a previously reported highway issue

Updates to issues you reported whilst logged into your account are available here.

Further information

View more information about how road drainage systems are maintained.

You can view the road and bridge closures page for a comprehensive list of current confirmed road and bridge closures across North Yorkshire.

See the flooding and drainage page for advice about protecting your property from flooding.

Requesting new or additional drainage

You can make a request for new or additional drainage by contacting us.

It is illegal to discharge drainage directly on to the highway or to connect private drainage into any highway drainage system. If you intend to carry out any alterations to drainage, or make changes in land use which might result in surface water discharging on to the highway, or increased flows in highway drainage, you must consult us.

Roads - drains and gullies - frequently asked questions

This page was last updated on 13 October 2016