Link to homepage

Roads - events and street parties

We encourage events that residents will enjoy, as well as those designed to attract tourists.

However, any event that causes disruption to traffic must be carefully managed to minimise congestion. This may require a temporary traffic regulation order, for which we require three months' advance notice. It's advisable to contact us to discuss event traffic management plans at least six months before the event.

We must be notified of small street parties for friends and neighbours but no licence is required for these. We must also be told about larger, publicised events open to the public, such as cycle races, marches, demonstrations and protests. Licences are required for all of these.

Small street parties

We have created a word icon guide and application form for organising a street party [161kb], in those instances where a road closure would not result in any diverted traffic. Organising small, private street parties is simple and, providing alcohol is not sold and entertainment is not provided, licences will not be needed.

Larger events

A larger event or a street party proposed on a through road, i.e. a road which may access other streets, requires a more detailed process. See the temporary road closure or restriction on the highway page for more details on planning a larger event and to download an application form.

Fees and charges

The legal process required to close a road to traffic carries a charge. View our pdf icon list of fees and charges for 2016-17 [252kb].


It is the responsibility of the event organiser to make sure the event is planned and held safely and with minimum disruption to other highway users. See this pdf icon event safety guide [917kb] from the Health and Safety Executive for guidance.

Report a concern about an event or street party

You can tell us about the issue by registering / logging in to the 'my account' section of the website. 'My account' also allows you to view details of services you have previously applied, booked and paid for. You can also see updates on their progress.

If you prefer, you can tell us about a highway issue anonymously, but please be aware that you will miss out on the benefits of having an account ie. you will not receive progress updates.

You can provide feedback about your experience of reporting a highway issue here.

Check the progress of a previously reported highway issue

Updates to issues you reported whilst logged into your account are available here.

Roads - events and street parties - frequently asked questions

This page was last updated on 22 November 2016