Library opening hours
- Monday - 10am - 6pm
- Tuesday - 10am - 5pm
- Wednesday - 10am - 5pm
- Thursday - 10am - 5pm
- Friday - 10am - 5pm
- Saturday - 10am - 2pm
- Sunday - closed
Finding the library, parking and access
The library is located in the Arcade, next to the bus station and overlooking the car park. The library is well served by the nearby bus station which provides good links to surrounding towns and villages as well as within Ripon itself.
There are no car parking spaces designated for the library. However, there is a large pay and display car park immediately in front of the library, split into sections reflecting duration of stay permitted.
The library has automatic doors and all areas are accessible to wheelchairs. The meeting room is fitted with a hearing loop and there is a portable hearing loop for use in other parts of the building. The library is located on the first floor and may be accessed by stairs or lift.
Popular library tasks
- Search for books in the library catalogue
- Renew your books
- Reserve books or other items
- Borrow e-books or digital audiobooks
- Join the library online
- View library charges or pay online (£10 minimum)
- Access online reference sources
Items available from the library
You can borrow a range of books, DVDs, graphic novels, large print books, music CDs and talking books.
Information and facilities at the library
- baby changing
- family history
- help with your blue badge application is available
- induction loop
- internet and computer access
- issuing of bus passes for disabled people
- issuing of bus passes for older people
- language courses
- local studies
- meeting room available for hire
- parents' collection
- study area
- tea and coffee
Activities at the library
For further information about any of the activities below, please contact the library.
Class visits may be organised to the library.
Drop-in advice for older people
Older people looking for advice on issues such as health, housing and money can attend one-to-one drop-in sessions at the library. The sessions are provided by an Age UK information advisor every Friday, 10am - 11am.
The advisor can provide information and offer help with:
- Money matters, including pensions, benefits, tax, bank accounts and credit;
- Health issues, including healthy eating, health services, mental health and mobility;
- Housing matters and options, including remaining independent and care homes;
- Local services, activities and support for older people; and
- Support for dealing with end of life and bereavement.
Baby Booktime Bash! - fortnightly sessions on Wednesday mornings for children up to two and their families;
Toddlers Treat! - fortnightly sessions on Friday mornings for 2½ year olds and their families. Please contact the library to check the dates.
Employment advice drop-in session every Wednesday morning, 10.15am - 12 noon, to assist jobseekers to search for jobs using the internet, complete job applications online and to provide CV advice.
A free, appointment only session with a career advisor held most Wednesdays 10.15am - 3pm, to assist jobseekers to search for jobs using the internet, complete job applications online and to provide CV advice. Call 01904 656655 to book your appointment.
Ripon Gazette session
Drop-in sessions every Thursday, 11am - 2pm. Ripon Gazette reporters will be available to talk to residents of Ripon.
Harrogate and Ripon Volunteer Centres drop-in information session
These sessions are taking place on the first Tuesday of every month. Please contact the library for details.
Well Baby Clinic
Drop-in session with Ripon health visitors, every Thursday 1.30pm - 3pm in the library meeting room. For more information telephone 01765 645932.