Link to homepage

Road markings

Road markings are used to define carriageway lanes and edges, parking and waiting restrictions and to convey warnings and other instructions to road users.

Highways England is responsible for road markings on all motorways and trunk roads, such as the A1(M), A19(T), A64(T) and A64(T). We are responsible for road markings on all other A, B and C class roads and most unclassified roads.

Road markings are subject to considerable wear. All our roads are subject to safety inspections at least annually, and this includes identifying any markings that are badly damaged or degraded.

Report a highway problem online

You can tell us about the issue by registering / logging in to the 'my account' section of the website. 'My account' also allows you to view details of services you have previously applied, booked and paid for. You can also see updates on their progress.

If you prefer, you can tell us about a highway issue anonymously, but please be aware that you will miss out on the benefits of having an account ie. you will not receive progress updates.

You can provide feedback about your experience of reporting a highway issue here.

Check the progress of a previously reported highway issue

Updates to issues you reported whilst logged into your account are available here.

Road markings - frequently asked questions

This page was last updated on 22 November 2016