Link to homepage

Road signs and bollards

We are responsible for ensuring the correct standards of road signs in North Yorkshire.

Road signs on all motorways and trunk roads, such as the A1(M), A19(T), A64(T) and A64(T), are the responsibility of Highways England. We are responsible for signs on all other A, B and C class roads and most unclassified roads.

Report a highway problem online

If the issue is causing an immediate danger to the safety of road users, it is classified as an emergency. You should contact us by telephone to report an emergency rather than using our online form. Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 8am - 5.30pm. Dial 999 outside office hours for our emergency service.

You can tell us about the issue by registering / logging in to the 'my account' section of the website. 'My account' also allows you to view details of services you have previously applied, booked and paid for. You can also see updates on their progress.

If you prefer, you can tell us about a highway issue anonymously, but please be aware that you will miss out on the benefits of having an account ie. you will not receive progress updates.

You can provide feedback about your experience of reporting a highway issue here.

Check the progress of a previously reported highway issue

Updates to issues you reported whilst logged into your account are available here.

Signs provided and funded by us:

  • Advisory signs - such as reduce speed now, village name plates (with safety message), unsuitable for heavy goods vehicles;
  • Direction signs - to guide and direct traffic;
  • Information signs - weight limit ahead, diversion signs etc;
  • Regulatory signs - such as speed limit, waiting restrictions; and
  • Warning signs - bend, junction, road narrows, ice, etc.

Provided and funded by district and borough councils:

  • Car park signs (for car parks owned and managed by district councils);
  • Pedestrian finger post signs (in certain locations); and
  • Street name plates.

Approved by us and funded by others:

  • Tourist signs - usually funded by applicant;
  • Neighbourhood watch - usually funded by applicant;
  • Temporary signs advertising local events - funded by event organiser; and
  • Village signs - usually funded by parish or town council.

Requesting a new sign

Each year, we receive and investigate several hundred requests for additional signs. Commonly requested signs include give way, junction, bend warning signs, warning chevrons, pedestrian and children signs, housing development signs  - providing local directions to new sites - and tourism signs. New traffic signs will normally only be provided:

  • Where recommended after an accident study;
  • In conjunction with improvements or alterations to the road network;
  • Where existing signs are misleading and there is evidence of this causing confusion to road users;
  • Where alterations to signage would be a positive benefit to commerce, industry or tourism; or
  • Where there is a legal requirement to provide them.

Contact us to request a new road sign.

Illuminated signs and bollards

Many traffic signs and bollards are lit at night so that the warnings to motorists are clearly visible. We are responsible for about 8,000 of them. The Highways Agency (telephone 0300 123 5000) is responsible for Illuminated signs on all motorways and trunk roads, while we responsible those on all other A, B and C class roads and most unclassified roads.


Illuminated signs and bollards have a maintenance inspection once a year. Routine highway inspections, and reports from the public identify any faults and condition problems that may arise in between maintenance inspections. Common faults are:

  • Overgrown trees and hedges obstructing signs and preventing visibility by road users;
  • Traffic accidents causing damage to illuminated signs and bollards; and
  • Vandalism preventing visibility of the sign's message.

Repairing faults

If it's a safety issue, we will attend and make safe within three hours. Illuminated bollard and statutory signs are repaired within 24 hours; replacements are installed within ten days. Other issues will be dealt with within five days.

Traffic mirrors

National policy states that we cannot install traffic mirrors on the public highway without special permission from the secretary of state of the department for transport.

The installation of traffic mirrors will only be considered at junctions in rural areas where:

  • There is a proven record of accidents related to poor visibility and high speed crossing traffic;
  • Physical improvements to improve lines of sight are not possible;
  • The drawbacks of installing traffic mirrors will not outweigh benefits to road users.

Mirrors are not permitted at all in urban areas.

Contact us to request a traffic mirror.

Road signs and bollards - frequently asked questions

This page was last updated on 22 November 2016