Street parking permits
There are various permit parking schemes in operation throughout the county.
These controlled parking zones, often called residents' parking schemes, are to help those living in areas where there is a lot of on-street parking, such as town centres, large developments, tourist locations and near railway stations. They give residents priority, but do not entitle residents to their own parking space or guarantee every householder a parking space at all times.
Applying for a parking permit
If you live on a street with a residents' parking scheme and you meet the eligibility criteria, you can apply. In an area administered by us, you must complete and return the application form [33kb]. If you live on New Biggin or Bargate, Richmond, use this application form [32kb]. Contact your borough council if you live in the Harrogate or Scarborough areas.
Some schemes enable other people to obtain permits, such as businesses, doctors or healthcare workers. Visitor parking permits are not granted in Richmond. However, you can apply for one additional parking permit per household for visitors if you live in Thirsk, Bedale or Northallerton. The cost is £15.
Blue badge parking permit
The national blue badge scheme is designed to allow disabled people to park close to facilities and services they need to use. You can find out more about the scheme and apply online from our blue badge page.
Administration of residents' parking schemes
The administration for issuing residents' parking permits varies across the county.
- Schemes administered by us
- Schemes administered by Harrogate Borough Council
- Schemes administered by Scarborough Borough Council
Parking permits - frequently asked questions
- How much does a residents' parking permit cost?
- How can I request a new residents' parking scheme?
- Can I obtain a parking disc that will allow me to park for a limited time in controlled parking zones?
- I run a business in or near a controlled parking zone. Can I obtain parking discs to give to customers and visitors?