Sometimes it is necessary for schools to close because of bad weather, loss of utility services (such as electric, gas or water) or other emergencies.
Headteachers work hard to keep their schools open wherever possible but if circumstances mean that they have to make a decision to close the school or send children home early, there are various ways of contacting parents.
For information about an individual school, you should contact the school directly.
Is my school closed?
As a result of rolling road closures on Friday 29 April for the Tour de Yorkshire cycle race the following schools will be closing early:
Closing at 12.00 noon
- Settle College
- Settle CE Primary School
- Giggleswick Primary School
- Grassington CE Primary School
- Austwick CE VA Primary School
- Horton in Ribblesdale Primary School
- Ripley Endowed Primary School
- Rathmell Primary School
- Burnt Yates CE Primary School
Closing at 12.30 pm
- Upper Wharfedale School
- Bishop Thornton St Joseph's RC Primary School
How to find out if a school is closed
Local radio stations play an important part in communications between schools and parents. Once headteachers have made the decision to close their school they will inform the local radio station covering the area in which the school is located and ask them to broadcast a message to parents.
The local radio stations used to broadcast school closure information for North Yorkshire include:
- BBC Tees - 95.0 FM - www.bbc.co.uk/tees
- BBC York and North Yorkshire - 95.5 FM 103.7 FM or 104.3 FM - www.bbc.co.uk/york
- TFM Radio - 96.6 FM - http://www.tfmradio.com/
The following radio stations broadcast information for specific parts of the county:
- BBC Radio Lancashire - 95.5 FM, 103.9 FM or 104.5 FM
- BBC Radio Leeds- 92.4 FM
- Real Radio - 100-102 FM
- Magic FM - 105.4 FM
- Minster FM - 104.7 FM
- Star Radio - 102.5 or 103.4 FM
- Stray FM - 97.2 FM
- Viking FM - 96.9 FM
- Yorkshire Coast Radio - 96.2, 102.4 or 103.1 FM
Schools will also have local arrangements in place to make sure that parents and carers are informed as soon as possible. If you are unsure of the procedure at your child's school please discuss this with the headteacher.
We will also endeavour to have a list of closures notified to us displayed on this page by 9am on the day concerned.
For further details of school term dates and training days, please view the school terms and holiday dates page.