Link to homepage

Apply for an in-year school place

Sometimes children need to change school at a time other than starting in reception, transferring to a junior school or transferring to secondary school for the very first time. Some changes may be unavoidable, for example when you move into North Yorkshire, move house, or sometimes they occur because of difficulties at your child's current school.

Changing schools is a big event for any child and should not be undertaken without first talking to the head teacher at your child's current school, to try and resolve any problems.

An in-year application can be made at any time of the year as there is no closing date. Your application will be processed no more than half a term (six weeks) in advance of when a place is required. A school place will normally be allocated from the start of the next half term.

Important Information for parents with primary age pupils who are considering changing schools

Please read the following information:

If you live in North Yorkshire you need to apply to change schools by filling in a North Yorkshire in-year casual admission form, listing up to five school preferences. We will then look at each preference in turn, starting with the highest, and provide your details to the school. If there is not a place available at that school, we will look at your next highest preference and continue down the list until we can offer your child a place. A place will normally be allocated from the beginning of the following term or half term.

If we are unable to allocate any of your preferences we will find an alternative place at a school within a reasonable distance of your home. You also have a right to appeal for a place at any of the schools listed on your preference form. We may require proof of residency before considering offering a school place.

If you are not currently living in North Yorkshire, but are requesting a place at a North Yorkshire school, you should contact your home authority and complete their in-year preference form. If you are planning to move into North Yorkshire, you can still complete our online form, but we will need to know when you are moving and the address in North Yorkshire that you are moving to, to enable us to process your application.

Apply for an in-year place online

Information to help you decide on a school

You can find Information about all schools in North Yorkshire here, along with over-subscription criteria and details of the catchment area for your school. You can contact our education office if you need any further information or help applying.

Voluntary aided, trust, academy and foundation schools

You may have listed a voluntary-aided, trust, academy or foundation school as one or more of your preferences. These schools are their own admissions authority and may ask you for further information to decide whether you are eligible for a place according to their admissions policy. They will notify the local authority if they have a place available. The local authority will then advise parents or carers by letter, on behalf of all schools, of the place that has been allocated.

If you have listed one of the following schools as your highest preference, you must apply directly to the school.

  • Skipton Girls' High School,
  • Richard Taylor CE Primary School, Harrogate,
  • St Joseph's Catholic Primary School, Tadcaster,
  • St Wilfrid's Catholic Primary School, Ripon.

If the school is unable to offer a place you do have a statutory right to an admission appeal, details of which must be provided by the school.

The school must inform us of the outcome of your application. If the school is unable to allocate a place you should contact the admissions team for advice or submit an online in-year application form, listing up to five preferences.

In-year fair access

All North Yorkshire schools operate collaborative arrangements for the admission of pupils under an in-year fair access protocol, as required in the admissions code.

In-year fair access makes sure that unplaced children, especially the most vulnerable, are offered a place at a suitable school as quickly as possible. This includes admitting children to schools that are already oversubscribed. All schools contribute to this arrangement and will both lose and gain pupils under the protocol. Further details of the protocol can be viewed here.

Appealing a decision

If you have not been allocated a place at your highest preference school you will be offered a statutory right of appeal. An independent panel will look at your circumstances and decide whether, even though the school has reached its published admission number (PAN), you should be offered a place. You can make an appeal for more than one school.

If you have been refused a place at a community or voluntary-controlled school, appeal papers will normally be enclosed with the letter advising you of the outcome of your application.

If you have been refused a place at a voluntary aided, foundation or trust school, you will need to contact the school directly to get an appeal form. The school in question will arrange to hear any appeal under their agreed admission appeal arrangements.

Refusing an offer of a place

Parents who do not wish to accept a place at a school offered to them must notify the local authority within two weeks of the offer being made.

Information on school transport

Pupils offered a place at their catchment or normal school will be offered transport to school if they qualify in accordance with our home to school transport policy. If parents name a school other than their catchment or normal school, and are offered a place, they will normally be responsible for transport.

This page was last updated on 15 March 2017