Selective school admissions
Information about applying for a place at a selective school in North Yorkshire.
Information evenings for selective grammar schools
The information below is from the two selection evenings that were held for the 2016-17 academic year:
- Ripon - the Ripon Grammar School event was held on Thursday 30 June 2016.
Information from the Ripon selection evening [494kb]
- Skipton - the Ermysted's Grammar School event was held on Tuesday 5 July 2016.
Information from the Skipton selection evening [409kb]
If you have any queries, please contact the admissions team.
To allow pupils and parents to see the range of skills required to complete the tests, a practice example of the verbal reasoning and non-verbal reasoning familiarisation booklets are available below.
These booklets are subject to copyright and must not be reproduced, photocopied, sold or distributed in any form or by any means.
- Non verbal reasoning (NVR) familiarisation booklet [4Mb]
- Verbal reasoning (VR) familiarisation booklet [1Mb]
About selective grammar schools
Within North Yorkshire there are three selective grammar schools. These schools admit children based on their performance in tests which are designed to identify academic potential. The main selection tests take place in September the year before children are due to transfer to secondary school.
The local authority administer the selection tests for Ripon Grammar School or Ermysted's Grammar School in Skipton and the following information relates to these two schools.
If you would like your child to be considered for a place at Ermysteds Grammar School or Ripon Grammar School and your child attends an out of catchment school, you live out of the catchment area for the grammar schools or your child attends an independent school, you will need to make an application to sit the tests.
If you live in the catchment area for the grammar schools and your child attends an in-area primary school you will be notified directly during the summer term about the selection scheme.
The application round to apply to sit the bulk tests in the September before the year of entry into Year 7 runs from May until mid-July.
The bulk selection tests are held on two Saturdays in September and children need to attend both test days (for entry in September 2017 the tests were held on Saturday 10 September 2016 and Saturday 17 September 2016).
Late applications can still be made to sit the selective tests for entry in 2017. You will be notified of the dates for the test which will be held in April or during the summer term 2017.
To apply to sit the selective test please complete this application form.
In order for your child to be considered for a place at Ripon Grammar School or Ermysted's Grammar School you must also list that school on the common application form along with your other preferences. The deadline for completing the secondary common application forms is 31 October.
Skipton Girls High School - if you wish to apply for a place at Skipton Girls High School, which is an academy, you should contact the school direct as well as listing the school on the common application form.
If your child is not allocated a place at the grammar school you have listed as a preference, you are entitled to an admissions appeal.
There are two selective areas within North Yorkshire; one in Skipton and one in Ripon. Each school has its own website and prospectus for more information.
Secondary schools in the Skipton area
- Ermysted's Grammar School, a voluntary-aided selective school for boys.
- Skipton Girls' High School, a selective academy for girls.
- Skipton Academy, a non-selective school for boys and girls in a selective area.
- Upper Wharfedale school, Threshfield, a non-selective school for boys and girls in a selective area.
You live within the selective area of Skipton if you reside within the catchment area of the above named schools.
Secondary schools in the Ripon area
- Ripon Grammar School, a selective school for boys and girls (which includes up to 14 boarding places in year 7 each year).
- Outwood Academy, Ripon, a non-selective academy for boys and girls in a selective area.
You live within the selective area of Ripon if you reside within the catchment area of the above named schools.
Selection - further information
- Selection - tests and suitability
- Opting in or out of selection procedures
- Selection - practice, coaching, familiarisation and selection test question examples
- Selection - in-year testing and admission arrangements
- Selection - frequently asked questions