Link to homepage

Frequently asked questions

Frequently asked questions about the registers of common land and town and village greens as well as the Commons Act 2006.

See the frequently asked questions below for more information about the registers of common land and town and village greens as well as the Commons Act 2006.

Legal advice and guidance on applications

North Yorkshire County Council, as registration authority, is responsible for the administration of applications. Part of the registration authority's role is to decide on your application so it must remain impartial. Therefore, we are unable to offer specific advice on individual applications. This means you are responsible for both deciding which form is appropriate for the type of amendment you want to make and for completing the form. We recommend consulting the Commons Act 2006, the Commons Registration (England) Regulations 2014 and the Defra guidance. These can be found on the external links and resources page. Please consider taking independent expert advice, such as from a solicitor with experience in this area of law, if you need detailed advice. You may also be able to get help from organisations such as the National Farmers' Union, the Country Land and Business Association or the Open Spaces Society.

Please note that we will not accept photocopies of applications or applications submitted by email.

Copies of documentary evidence received with applications are non-returnable and are retained by us for future reference. It is not advisable to provide original documents you wish to retain for your own records.

An application may not relate to more than one update, i.e. separate forms are to be used for each individual proposed update.

Please refer to the external links and resources page to access application forms.

See the what happens to my application page for the various steps and timescales associated with an application.

General frequently asked questions

Correction or amendment of the registers

Over time incorrect information was entered into the Registers of Common Land and Town and Village Greens and section 19 of the Commons Act 2006 enables applications to be made by any person wishing to rectify errors made in the registers. This will assist in making the registers become a more accurate record of registered land and rights of common.

Registration of new events

You can apply to amend the Common Land and Town and Village Greens Registers to create, vary, amend, transfer or extinguish a right of common, or to register new land as common land or as a town or village green. Any changes take effect only when the registration is made or amended. Previously, any changes affecting the rights of common or registered land had an effect whether or not the Common Land and Town and Village Greens Registers had been updated.

Contact details

For more information and queries about common land and village greens please contact:

North Yorkshire County Council
Business and Environmental Services Directorate
Commons Registration
County Hall
North Yorkshire

Telephone: 01609 780780

The register may also be inspected at the above address. Please make an appointment prior to any visit.

This page was last updated on 25 May 2017