Local transport plan four (LTP4)
The local transport plan is a set of documents that the government requires all local transport authorities to produce. The documents set out our plans and strategies for maintaining and improving all aspects of the local transport system over a set period of time.
As the highway authority, we are responsible for all adopted roads and footways within North Yorkshire and for the management, maintenance and improvement of the highway network. The highway network consists of approximately 9,200km of road, 4,000km of footway, 47,000 streetlights and 2,000 bridges.
The following local transport plan document sets out the council's priorities, plans and strategies for managing, maintaining and improving all aspects of the local transport system for the next 30 years.
The local transport plan was approved by the county council in February 2016.
- Local transport plan four (LTP4) - executive summary [3Mb]
- Local transport plan four (LTP4) - parts 1 and 2 [17Mb]
- Local transport plan four (LTP4) - part 3 [39Mb]
Over the next few years these policies will be reviewed, amended and added to, and will be made available online for you to read.
- Traffic signals asset management plan [858kb]
- 20mph zones and limits - December 2006 [234kb]
- Highway maintenance plan - April 2006 [342kb]
- Highway safety inspection manual - November 2013 [1Mb]
- Highways infrastructure asset management policy - April 2015 [421kb]
- Highways infrastructure asset management strategy - April 2015 [219kb]
- Street lighting asset management plan - May 2016 [721kb]
- Parking strategy - October 2011 [309kb]
- Residents parking scheme policy - March 2012 [559kb]
- Signing policy for tourist destinations - April 2014 [492kb]
Strategic environmental assessment
A strategic environmental assessment was undertaken as part of the process of preparing local transport plan four. The main outcome of this was the production of an environmental report, which was consulted on in 2015. The finalised version of this report contains two volumes: volume one features the main findings of the assessment [1Mb] while volume two contains supporting information [2Mb].
To complete the strategic environmental assessment process, a post adoption statement has been produced. This describes how the assessment was undertaken, how it helped to improve the contribution that local transport plan four makes to the environment, and how the strategic environmental assessment will be monitored.
Local transport plan consultation
Prior to the adoption of local transport plan four we completed several stages of consultation, including online surveys which helped us to understand what is important to people in North Yorkshire in terms of transport, as well as a strategic environmental assessment. Please see this report for further details on the LTP4 consultation [1Mb].