What do I need to know about my booking?
What do I need to know about my booking?
Your marriage or civil partnership ceremony booking is accepted on the condition that:
- No legal impediment to the marriage or civil partnership exists and legal preliminaries are completed as required; and
- Any foreign divorce/dissolution papers are accepted by the registrar general where applicable.
Some other things to note are:
A non-refundable deposit is payable at the time you reserve a date and time for your ceremony. We reserve the right to charge an additional fee should a later change of date or venue be required.
Payment of our fees
Notice fees are payable at the time you give your legal notice of intention to marry or form a civil partnership; these fees are non-refundable.
We request the ceremony fee to be paid at the time notice is given in North Yorkshire, or when we have received confirmation that notice has been given elsewhere, i.e. no earlier than 12 months and normally no later than three months prior to the ceremony. For ceremonies booked less than three months in advance, ceremony fees are payable within seven days of giving notice.
In the event that you need to cancel your ceremony after full payment has been made, you are required to give three months' minimum notice in order to be eligible for a full refund of the ceremony fee. For all other cancellations, a percentage of the ceremony fee paid will be retained by us to cover service costs incurred. Cancellation must be made in writing and is subject to the following:
- More than three months' written notice of cancellation or within seven days of paying - full refund of the ceremony fee (less the deposit);
- Cancellation between three months and 14 days before the ceremony - 25 per cent of the ceremony fee (less the deposit) paid will be retained;
- Cancellation less than 14 days before the ceremony - 50 per cent of the ceremony fee (less the deposit) paid will be retained;
- Failure to cancel - no refund will be given.
Cancellation of bookings by us
Your booking may be cancelled by us if you have not given your legal notice of intention to marry or form a civil partnership within the dates specified on your provisional booking notification.
Cancellation or change of booking by couple or venue
All cancellations or changes to date and time of ceremony must be notified in writing to the registration office which took your booking. We will try to facilitate any revised ceremony date or change to another venue within North Yorkshire; however this may not always be possible. Please note that the notices allowing your marriage or civil partnership to take place are valid only for the venue stated on them. If you change the venue, you will need to give new notices with a further 28 days notice period and further notice fees will be payable. Notices are valid for one year from giving notice.
We offer the opportunity for you to meet a member of the registration team prior to the ceremony. However we cannot guarantee that this same member of staff will attend your ceremony.
You may wish to have additional words used during your ceremony, but these must be agreed with the superintendent registrar (or their deputy) no later than four weeks prior to your ceremony. Please note that any additional words or music must not have any religious connotations.
The time booked for the ceremony is the time it will commence. If the ceremony should commence late, we may amend the ceremony in order to reduce its duration.
- Should the ceremony not be ready to proceed within a maximum of 20 minutes of the scheduled time and we are not responsible for any such delay, then we may defer or cancel the ceremony;
- Where a ceremony is cancelled in such circumstances the fee will not be refunded; and
- If the ceremony takes place later than planned, we may charge an additional fee.
It is your responsibility to ensure that you have two credible witnesses at the ceremony. We require that witnesses signing the register must be aged 16 or over.
Ceremonies in freestanding structures
A booking is accepted for an outside structure on condition that:
- The ceremony can take place during daylight hours. The venue must agree and must also reserve an alternative ceremony room for your use in case the ceremony needs to be conducted indoors.
Naming and renewal of vows
Your ceremony booking is accepted, on the condition that the following documents are produced as appropriate:
- The birth certificate of the person being named; and/or
- The marriage or civil partnership certificate for couples renewing their vows.
Please note that these ceremonies do not give any legal status or rights.
We do not permit animals or wildlife (with the exception of guide dogs or assistance animals) at ceremonies in our own registration offices.
If an approved venue permits a couple to have animals or wildlife at their ceremony, the venue is entirely responsible for the health and safety of guests and any housekeeping issues which may arise as a result. We must be informed of these arrangements in advance of the day of the ceremony.
Facilities are usually available either within or outside the venue for photographs. A limited number of photographs taken by the official photographer will be allowed during a ceremony by prior arrangement with the conducting registrar. Photographers must not be allowed to cause any unnecessary delays to the commencement of ceremonies. You will be given our 'code of conduct' for photographers when you book your ceremony which we ask you to pass on to your chosen photographer.