Community organisations and individual volunteers make a huge contribution to lives across North Yorkshire, aiding the council in delivering critical services, and providing social networks which reduce isolation and enable people to live independently for longer.
They help to deliver a wide range of critical services from organising luncheon clubs and helping in schools; run cultural and social events; walk dogs and do shopping for elderly neighbours; help out at cub scout and brownie guide groups; run animal shelters and community libraries, and so much more.
The annual North Yorkshire County Council community awards scheme recognises and celebrates voluntary work carried out by people and organisations countywide.
The 2017 awards were launched on 14 March 2017 and are now open for nominations. Nominations close on 14 June 2017.
The award categories are as follows:
Best community project award
The best community project award recognises a community project that has resulted in real benefits for their community in that year.
Best community group award
The best community group award recognises an inspirational community group that has made a positive impact on a community and / or people's lives through ongoing, day-to-day activity in that year.
Volunteer of the year
The volunteer of the year award recognises an inspiring individual who has made an outstanding contribution to their community through volunteering above and beyond their normal role in that year.
Young people volunteering award
The young people volunteering award recognises projects run by an individual or group aged 11-18 in that year. It is awarded to a young person or people who have made a positive difference to other people's lives by volunteering their time and skills to creatively help solve a problem or provide a service.
The winner of each category will be awarded £1,000 for the relevant project, group or nominated relevant local charity in the case of the volunteer awards. Two runners up in each category will receive £250.
Nominations can be made via our online form:
Please send nominations by 5pm on 14 June 2017.
Nominations are considered by a judging panel which includes the council's chairman and deputy chairman, young people and representatives from the voluntary sector. Nominees will be shortlisted by the judges based on information provided in the nomination forms. Short listed nominees will then be visited and finalists chosen.
Finalists will be invited to the North Yorkshire wider partnership conference on the morning of Friday 3 November 2017, where the winners will be announced and presented with their awards.
The criteria for the North Yorkshire County Council community awards scheme 2017 are:
- Projects or activities that have taken place or been completed between 31 July 2016 to 1 June 2017;
- Nominated community projects must have had a positive impact on people living in the North Yorkshire County Council area;
- Nominated community groups must be constituted, not for profit, and operate in the North Yorkshire County Council area;
- Community groups may be a branch of, or affiliated to, a larger regional or national organisation, as long as the volunteers started and developed the initiative for the activity locally, and the group's achievements go beyond what is expected of similar groups in the wider organisation's network;
- Nominated individuals must volunteer within the North Yorkshire County Council boundaries in the area of work for which they are nominated; and
- Self-nominations will be accepted.
All nominations are judged on the following criteria:
How the individual, organisation or project has:
- Tackled issues that affect people living in North Yorkshire and made a difference to their community;
- Helped get people involved and inspired others; and
- Had a lasting impact.
And for community project and community groups, how they have:
- Made the most of funds available.
The decision of the awards panel is final and the panel reserves the right not to make awards if there are no eligible nominations.
You can contact us for more information about the awards at email@example.com.