Link to homepage

Referral and assessment

Information about how to get in touch with us and about the referral and assessment process.

Referring your child

You can be referred by a professional who knows your child, like a teacher or a doctor, or families can ring up and talk to staff in our customer resolution centre. They will advise you whether the disabled children's service is right for you.

New referrals should be made to our customer resolution centre.

The next stages

First we will visit you at home to make sure we fully understand what your child and your family need. The support plan provided will depend on an assessment of need carried out by a social worker.

Support to parents as carers

When your child / young person is assessed, you will be offered a carer's assessment to see what support you need. These needs are taken into account in your child's support plan.

How the disabled children's service can help

After the assessment, we will advise you if your son or daughter is eligible for support from disabled children's services. We will then arrange to meet with you to discuss what help and support you need and draw up a support plan. You will be advised what sum of money will be allocated to your family for the support plan. This is known as a personal budget.

Care and short breaks services

Many parents need a regular break from their caring role. Short breaks can help children and young people to meet others, do activities they enjoy and increase their independence. We arrange support with registered private and voluntary sector organisations. Some families prefer to have a direct payment and employ their own care staff.

Care and short breaks services can include:

  • Day care, in school holidays, after school or weekends;
  • Overnight or weekend stays with short break carers or a residential unit. See the pdf icon family based overnight short breaks scheme - a guide for parents [214kb] document for more details;
  • Specialist support to help a child take part in activities; and / or
  • Support workers to care for your child in your own home.

Families can also use a wide range of other services or creative solutions in their support plan. Some options can be found in the tools for personal budgets section of the personal budgets for care page.

Advice and assistance

We will do our best to advise you or find the best agency to do so. We work with health professionals, schools and other agencies.

Full-time care

We aim to support families so that children can continue living at home. If children or young people can no longer live with their family we arrange for them to be looked after.

Child protection

Our social workers are trained in child protection. If a child is suffering or is likely to suffer significant harm, we work with families and other agencies to reduce the risk of harm. You can also find useful information on the North Yorkshire Safeguarding Children website.

If your needs change

Services are reviewed regularly and can be changed. If you have questions, problems with the service, or your circumstances change you can contact your worker. If your need is urgent ask to speak to a duty worker if the worker you know is not available.

This page was last updated on 17 November 2016