What does the County Council do to inform people about surface dressing and reduce the disruption it causes?
It is inevitable that there may be some minor delays to traffic, however, every attempt will be made to reduce the disruption to road users while this improvement to North Yorkshire's roads is undertaken, including:
- Providing advance notice to those directly affected by the works.
- Where possible, traffic will be allowed past any machinery using manually operated 'stop/go' boards whilst the works are being carried out. In some cases roads may be too narrow for this, and drivers may have to use an alternative route for a short period.
- Complete the works within a morning or afternoon and time the works to coincide with quiet periods. This can also include times earlier in the morning or later in the day when the temperatures are cooler.
Before starting any works the County Council's contractor will:
- Erect 'advance warning signs' on affected roads, stating the start date and duration of the works
- Send leaflets to adjacent residents giving information about the works and asking them to refrain from on-street parking on the day of the works. Parking obstruction and adverse weather are the main cause of delays.
You can help us to get the job done without delay and with minimal disruption by:
- Not parking on the road (during the day) until the road has been surface dressed and the initial sweeping has been completed.
- Keeping pets and children away from the area for safety and cleanliness.
- Keeping to the temporary speed limits and avoiding sharp turns or heavy braking to allow the surface to stabilise and to prevent damage to your vehicle.
- Check your shoes before entering your car or home
- Remove bitumen stains promptly with a cleaning product for the safe removal of tar, these are available from most car accessory shops or garages.