New residents' parking scheme stage one - initial approval
For a proposed residents' parking scheme to be considered, a self-appointed champion needs to come forward. This champion could be a resident, the local County Councillor or a member of the district, parish or town council.
The champion will be responsible for identifying the level of support by obtaining signatures from residents in the proposed zone. The champion is advised to contact the County Council at the earliest possible opportunity for guidance before approaching residents.
The local highway's area office will assess all initial requests against the criteria below. All of the criteria must be satisfied before progression to stage two:
- The champion has been able to obtain signatures of support from the owner/occupier of over 50% of the properties within the proposed zone
- The local highway's area office do not believe that the issue can be addressed a source, for example by working with a large employer or railway station operator
- The request is supported by all local County Councillors and the Area Committe Chairman
- An appropriate funding source has been identified by the local highway's area office for the assessment and implementation
- Civil parking enforcement is operational within the district
- The local highway's area office has reasonable evidence to suggest that owners/occupiers of the properties in the area and their visitors have significant difficulty finding reasonably convenient parking
- The District Council, local Parish / Town Councils, emergency services and National Park Authority, where appropriate, have been made aware of the request and do not have a reasonable objection