Permanent repairs to the A59 at Kex Gill are currently underway.
Work is progressing on the complex task of permanent repairs to the A59 at Kex Gill.
However, the work will take longer than expected because ground conditions are more difficult than the original investigations indicated.
The repairs involve drilling into the rock below the road to enable the retaining wall to be firmly fixed in place. Unfortunately, the discovery of voids in the area behind the wall has caused delays. The repairs will be completed as soon as possible and will be followed by a week-long closure later in the year for resurfacing and drainage work.
Site updates and progress reports
Work is progressing well at Kex Gill with the road and wall both stable.
The top row of nails and grouting are complete, the bottom row are in progress.
Unfortunately, the need for additional work has caused further delays. Whilst we had anticipated work to be completed in late February, low temperatures may affect the grouting process and the final completion date. Traffic management will remain in place.
We will provide updates as we have further information. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
Despite the difficult weather conditions, good progress has been made this week. Surveyors have been on site completing a full survey of the works.
Monitoring will continue throughout the Christmas period.
Traffic Management will remain in place over the Christmas break but the road is open.
Work completed last week includes:
- Site set up, traffic lights extended, site compound and office established.
- Scaffold platform erected to enable the drilling rig to install the ground anchors.
- Movement monitoring targets installed on the wall face and existing road surface.
- Polythene spill protection fixed to scaffold platform to prevent any grout spillages from spreading onto the surrounding ground.
- Diamond core drilling and soil nail drilling for temporary anchors to provide lateral restraint for the drilling rig.
Work planned for week commencing 22 October includes:
- Drilling rig to be lifted into place on the scaffold platform.
- Commence drilling and installation of the permanent anchors.
- Continuous movement monitoring of the wall and road surface whilst work is underway.