The Licensing Act 2003 covers the sale and supply of alcohol, the provision of regulated entertainment and the provision of late night refreshment.

By law, the following activities will require a licence:

  • Retail sale of alcohol
  • Supply of alcohol (for club premises)
  • Performance of a play
  • Exhibition of a film
  • Indoor sporting events
  • Boxing or wrestling
  • Performance of live music
  • Playing of recorded music
  • Performance of dance
  • Providing facilities for making music or dancing (such as providing a dance floor)
  • Supply of hot food or drink between the hours of 11pm and 5am.

Visit your local district or borough council for more information on this service: