Apply for an in-year school place

You can apply mid-year for a school place or to make a late application to start in reception or Year 7.

Sometimes children need to change school at a time other than starting in reception, transferring to a junior school or transferring to secondary school for the very first time. Some changes may be unavoidable, for example when you move into North Yorkshire, move house, or sometimes they occur because of difficulties at your child's current school.

Changing schools is a big event for any child and should not be undertaken without first talking to the head teacher at your child's current school, to try and resolve any problems.

An in-year application can be made at any time of the year as there is no closing date. Your application will be processed no more than half a term (six weeks) in advance of when a place is required. A school place will normally be allocated from the start of the next half term.

Important information for parents with primary age pupils who are considering changing schools

Please read the frequently asked questions below for additional information.

If you live in North Yorkshire you need to apply to change schools by filling in a North Yorkshire in-year casual admission form, listing up to five school preferences. We will then look at each preference in turn, starting with the highest, and provide your details to the school. If there is not a place available at that school, we will look at your next highest preference and continue down the list until we can offer your child a place. A place will normally be allocated from the beginning of the following term or half term.

If we are unable to allocate any of your preferences we will find an alternative place at a school within a reasonable distance of your home. You also have a right to appeal for a place at any of the schools listed on your preference form. We may require proof of residency before considering offering a school place.

If you are not currently living in North Yorkshire, but are requesting a place at a North Yorkshire school, you should contact your home authority and complete their in-year preference form. If you are planning to move into North Yorkshire, you can still complete our online form, but we will need to know when you are moving and the address in North Yorkshire that you are moving to, to enable us to process your application.

Apply for an in-year place online

Apply for an in-year school place

 There is also an in-year preference form available to download (pdf / 40 KB).

Information to help you decide on a school

You can find Information about all schools in North Yorkshire here, along with over-subscription criteria and details of the catchment area for your school. You can contact our education office if you need any further information or help applying.

Voluntary aided, trust, academy and foundation schools

You may have listed a voluntary-aided, trust, academy or foundation school as one or more of your preferences. These schools are their own admissions authority and may ask you for further information to decide whether you are eligible for a place according to their admissions policy. They will notify the local authority if they have a place available. The local authority will then advise parents or carers by letter, on behalf of all schools, of the place that has been allocated.

If you have listed one of the following schools as your highest preference, you must apply directly to the school.

  • Skipton Girls' High School,
  • Richard Taylor CE Primary School, Harrogate,
  • St Joseph's Catholic Primary School, Tadcaster,
  • St Wilfrid's Catholic Primary School, Ripon.

If the school is unable to offer a place you do have a statutory right to an admission appeal, details of which must be provided by the school.

The school must inform us of the outcome of your application. If the school is unable to allocate a place you should contact the admissions team for advice or submit an online in-year application form, listing up to five preferences.

In-year fair access

All North Yorkshire schools operate collaborative arrangements for the admission of pupils under an in-year fair access protocol, as required in the admissions code.

In-year fair access makes sure that unplaced children, especially the most vulnerable, are offered a place at a suitable school as quickly as possible. This includes admitting children to schools that are already oversubscribed. All schools contribute to this arrangement and will both lose and gain pupils under the protocol. Further details of the protocol can be viewed here.

Appealing a decision

If you have not been allocated a place at your highest preference school you will be offered a statutory right of appeal. An independent panel will look at your circumstances and decide whether, even though the school has reached its published admission number (PAN), you should be offered a place. You can make an appeal for more than one school.

If you have been refused a place at a community or voluntary-controlled school, appeal papers will normally be enclosed with the letter advising you of the outcome of your application.

If you have been refused a place at a voluntary aided, foundation or trust school, you will need to contact the school directly to get an appeal form. The school in question will arrange to hear any appeal under their agreed admission appeal arrangements.

Refusing an offer of a place

Parents who do not wish to accept a place at a school offered to them must notify the local authority within two weeks of the offer being made.

Information on school transport

Pupils offered a place at their catchment or normal school will be offered transport to school if they qualify in accordance with our home to school transport policy. If parents name a school other than their catchment or normal school, and are offered a place, they will normally be responsible for transport.

Further information for parents on changing schools

Information for parents of children moving to North Yorkshire or changing school part way through the academic year is available below.

An in-year application for a school place is made when your child is already at school and you want them to transfer from one school to another. You can make an in-year application at any time of year.

In-year applications will be processed no more than six weeks or 40 school days in advance of when a school place required.

Requesting to change schools because you are moving into North Yorkshire or moving within North Yorkshire is sometimes unavoidable and we will endeavour to place your child at a school as soon as possible.

Where you are requesting to change school for other reasons, you should consider carefully whether a change of schools is in your child's best interest. We do not encourage parents to move their child from one local school to another school mid-year as this can have a negative effect on a child's progress.

Consider whether it is necessary to move schools and speak to your child's current school before completing an application.

Where you are not moving into North Yorkshire or moving address within the local authority area your child should continue to attend their current school until a place has been allocated at a new school and an admission date agreed. The admission date is likely to be from the beginning of the next school term.

It is vital that parents consider the effect on their child if they are considering changing school within the same vicinity.

While schools will try to help children settle into a new school environment quickly, it does take time for children to adjust and some loss in performance can be expected.

All schools teach the Core National Curriculum subjects. However, changing schools may mean that some topics or areas of work are repeated and some missed because subjects are taught at different times, in different ways in different schools.

Friendships formed in or out of school can be very important to children. Changing school because a child's friend changes school may be unwise as each child has their own needs.

Sometimes a change of school can enable children, who are suffering from an unwanted reputation or a clash of personalities in their local school or community, to start again. However, this does not always happen - especially if old habits or ways of behaving or dealing with problems do not change.

Sometimes the difficulties can transfer too, particularly if the previous school has not been given time to resolve the situation.

Sometimes a change is considered because there has been a disagreement between the parents or child and the school. There are very few differences that cannot be resolved if an issue is discussed openly and reasonably between a school and parent.

Parents are encouraged to settle any differences with schools and only move their children to another school as a last resort.

Generally it is better for a change of school to take place at the end of a term or at the end of a school year so as to minimise the disruption to the pupil's education.

Information for parents about how we process your primary school in-year transfer request.

  1. We receive your in-year application form requesting your child transfer schools.
  2. The details of your transfer request are logged to enable us to track the progress of your transfer request.
  3. We will contact your first preference school to determine if there are places available in the appropriate year group or groups.
  4. If places are available we will allocate a school place to your child.
  5. We will confirm the allocation with you in writing or via email. Both the school your child was attending and the newly allocated school will be notified. The school your child is leaving must complete a key information form and forward it to the new school before the admission arrangements can be finalised and a start date agreed. The purpose of this form is to ensure that the new school has all of the relevant information required to ensure your child's smooth transition into school.
  6. On receipt of the key information form, your child's new school will contact you to finalise the admission arrangements and discuss any issues regarding your child's education. In the meantime your child must continue to attend their current school.
  7. If there are no places available at your first preference school, we will approach your second / third preference school[s] to identify whether a place is available there. When we are unable to offer a higher preference you have the right to an admissions appeal. Your admission appeal will be held within 30 school days of the receipt of your appeal form.
  8. Before completing an in-year application form you should discuss the reasons for the change of school with your child's current head teacher. The head teacher will be required to provide key information to the new school.

Please note your child will only be admitted to their new school at the beginning of each half-term.

Where a family moves into North Yorkshire or you move address within the area and it is not practical for your child to remain at their current school then an alternative start date may be agreed.

Rate this page