The 4.8km single carriageway bypass linking the A684 north of Bedale and the A684 east of Leeming Bar was opened on 11 August 2016.
The road crosses the A1(M) at approximately the mid-point of the bypass, where it connects via an interchange which was constructed as part of the A1 upgrade.
Funding for the scheme was approved in July 2014 and work commenced on site in November 2014. The first stage of the works was to carry out an archaeological investigation of a Roman Villa and a late Iron Age enclosure. The Roman Villa dates from the mid 3rd - 4th century and was found to be in better condition than expected. Further information regarding this and the Iron Age enclosure can be found at the bottom of the this page.
Main construction works commenced in February 2015 by Wills Brothers Ltd. The bypass was opened to traffic two months early and within the £34.5m budget.
Time lapse videos and a video drive through
You can view aerial photos taken during construction of the bypass below.
- 11 August 2016 - opened to traffic
- Autumn 2016 - programmed opening
- March 2015 - public exhibition
- July 2014 - granted full approval
- October 2013 - planning consent (section 73 amendment)
- August 2013 - compulsory purchase order (CPO) and side roads order (SRO) confirmed
- May 2013 - public inquiry
- August 2012 - planning consent
- January 2012 - granted programme entry
You can view various supporting documents relating to the bypass below.
- Leaflet showing the current status of the proposed bypass (pdf / 5 MB)
- Compulsory purchase order 2012 - press notice (pdf / 1 MB)
- Sealed compulsory purchase order 2012 (pdf / 3 MB)
- Side road order and compulsory purchase order 2012 - statement of reason (pdf / 3 MB)
- Sealed side roads order schedule (pdf / 669 KB)
- Sealed side roads plans one and two (pdf / 9 MB)
- Sealed side road plans three to six (pdf / 9 MB)
- Sealed side road plans seven to ten (pdf / 8 MB)
Best and final funding bid
- Best and final funding bid - commercial case (pdf / 104 KB)
- Best and final funding bid - economic case (pdf / 1 MB)
- Best and final funding bid - financial case (pdf / 107 KB)
- Best and final funding bid - management case (pdf / 225 KB)
- Best and final funding bid - strategic case (pdf / 4 MB)
- Best and final funding offer (pdf / 4 MB)
- Addendum to the environmental statement (pdf / 12 MB)
- Addendum to the environmental statement (non-technical summary) (pdf / 9 MB)
- Public consultation report (pdf / 6 MB)
- Planning decision notice (pdf / 104 KB)
- Planning supporting statement (pdf / 7 MB)
- Monitoring and evaluation plan - January 2014 (pdf / 2 MB)