We make sure your views are listened to. Find out how an advocate could help your voice be heard. Also, how to access your records.

Your wishes and feelings

We will listen to your views and take them seriously. We will ensure we do this within the work we complete directly with you and by consulting with you on the service that we provide. You will have opportunities to record your wishes and feelings within your pathway plan reviews and by speaking to your leaving care case worker.

If you should ever be unhappy with the service you have received from us, the first port of call would be to speak to your leaving care case worker’s line manager. You can ask your leaving care case worker for their details or email leavingcare@northyorks.gov.uk.


You can access the support of a National Youth Advocacy Service advocate if you feel you need help to get your views across or you feel like you’re are not being listened to. Advocacy is about supporting you to make sure that your rights are respected and your views and wishes are heard.

An advocate can provide support by:

  • giving you an opportunity to speak confidentially to someone who is independent;
  • being with you when you have appointments or meetings;
  • speaking up for you, if you want them to;
  • giving you information about the different ways that you can raise your concerns; and
  • helping you to think about what you would like to achieve or want to change.

You can request an advocate from your leaving care case worker, or by calling the NYAS helpline on 0808 808 1001. You can also access lots of information about advocacy support on the NYAS website.

Accessing your social care records

You have the right to access your social care records by law. If you want to access your records, or you have a question about your time as a looked after child, we recommend that you speak to your leaving care case worker first who should be able to answer your questions or arrange for you to speak to someone who can. If you want to access your records they will be able to support you to do this.

We recommend going through your leaving care case worker as they will be able to provide you with any support that you may need whilst going through this process as some people can find this experience difficult and emotionally challenging.

If you would like to request access to your records independent of your leaving care case worker, you can contact us.

Making a complaint

If you are not happy with the response you receive from your case worker, you may wish to make a complaint. You can make a complaint online, by emailing cyps.contactus@northyorks.gov.uk, or by calling 01609 534193.

You can also write to:

CYPS Complaints Team
North Yorkshire County Council
Children and Young People’s Services
County Hall
North Yorkshire DL7 8AD