Commercial waste disposal and charges

We accept certain types of commercial waste at all of our household waste recycling centres.

A charge will be made for some types of commercial waste. However, other types of commercial wastes will be accepted free of charge to encourage reuse and recycling. Please see the frequently asked question about disposal costs below for more information.

You can read the  user guidance (pdf / 346 KB) for what you need to know when disposing commercial waste at one of our household waste recycling centres, including the types of vehicles we allow on to sites and waste types we do not accept.

Commercial waste customers are required to present their waste carrier's licence to site staff before disposing of waste.

You have a legal responsibility to ensure you produce, store, transport and dispose of your commercial waste without harming the environment. For further information on commercial waste visit this GOV.UK web page.

Waste treated as commercial waste

Commercial waste is waste produced from:

  • a commercial organisation;
  • a business or trade;
  • a person's employment;
  • a village hall;
  • an educational establishment (an exception may be made for recyclable material where no alternative disposal is available);
  • non-residential caravans; and
  • a landlord.

Frequently asked questions

A charge will be made for some types of commercial waste. However, to encourage reuse and recycling, the following types of commercial waste will be accepted free of charge in any volume:

  • paper;
  • scrap metal;
  • cardboard;
  • clothing;
  • plastic bottles;
  • hard plastics;
  • glass bottles; and
  • glass jars.

All wastes are charged at 0% VAT. All payments must be made via debit or credit card. No cash or cheques will be accepted on site.

Charges for hardcore, rubble and plasterboard

The charges for disposal of hardcore, rubble and plasterboard wastes are per standard hardcore and rubble bag. A sample of the standard hardcore and rubble bag is available at the sites.

Volume Hardcore / rubble Plasterboard
Standard hardcore and rubble bag £2.80 £2.70

Charges for tyres

Band Description Price (each)
A Standard tyre (car, motorcycle, 4x4) - off rim £1.90
Standard tyre (car, motorcycle, 4x4) - on rim £1.90
C Truck - off rim £9.80
D Truck - on rim £11.90
E Agricultural - off rim £16.20
F Agricultural - on rim £21.60
G Solid £11.90

Charges for active, green and wood waste

The charges for disposal of active, green and wood wastes are per standard bag. A sample of the standard bag is available at the sites.

Volume Active waste Green waste Wood waste
Standard waste bag £3.80 £2.00 £1.40
Up to 0.5 of a standard transit sized van load £48.70 £35.20 £43.30
0.5 to 1 standard transit sized van load £97.30 £70.30 £86.50
1 to 1.5 standard transit sized van loads £146.00 £105.50 £129.80
1.5 to 2 standard transit sized van loads £194.70 £140.60 £173.10

Charges for cooking oil

Volume Charge
Up to 5 litres £0.50
Up to 25 litres £2.70

Charges for returnable LPG bottles

Volume Charge
Less than 15kg £0.50
15kg and above £2.70

When you arrive on site, you will need to speak with a staff member to agree the volume and type of waste you have. This determines how much you have to pay before completing a controlled waste transfer note. 

If you empty your vehicle without reporting to site staff, or do not complete a transfer note, it will be assumed your vehicle was full and you will be charged the maximum waste disposal rate for your vehicle.

All payments must be made via debit or credit card. No cash or cheques will be accepted on site.

We do not accept the following commercial waste:

  • animal carcasses or excrement;
  • any waste classified as hazardous (under the Hazardous Waste Regulations 2005), including any waste electronic or electrical equipment that is hazardous;
  • asbestos;
  • excessive or large amounts of commercial waste where it detracts from the service provided to household users; and
  • scrap vehicles, caravans or boats.

Yes, you must be registered as a waste carrier and obtain a waste carrier’s licence to dispose your commercial waste.

Any business transporting waste, whether their own or someone else's, for free or for profit, must register as a waste carrier with the Environment Agency in England. Registration may be free of charge, depending on the activity. To register, visit this GOV.UK web page.

Businesses are required to show their waste carrier’s licence certificate to site staff before disposing of waste. If you fail to provide the certificate, staff will not allow you to tip your waste. 

The Environment Agency requires you to be registered with an upper tier licence if you wish to dispose of any construction or demolition waste.

Commercial waste is accepted at all household waste recycling centres during standard opening hours, Monday to Saturday (closed Wednesdays and bank holidays).

A charge is made for some types of commercial waste. However, you may pay less by separating your waste because certain types of commercial wastes are accepted free of charge to encourage reuse and recycling.

Household waste recycling centres are primarily for residents to dispose of their household waste. However, we accept discretionary wastes including commercial waste at a charge to cover the cost of providing this commercial service.

If you don't want to pay, you will not be able to deposit your waste at the household waste recycling centre and will have to use another disposal option, such as hiring a skip or taking the waste to a private waste management company.

Yes, if you are a regular user of household waste recycling centres. Please contact us for details. An application fee is charged to process an application. We undertake a credit scoring process to determine all applications and this search may be recorded by credit reference agencies. Accounts are for regular customers and will be cancelled if not used for a period of three months. Invoices must be paid promptly.

Hazardous chemicals from a business or charity are not accepted at at household waste recycling centres and must be disposed of through a private licensed contractor. Suitable contractors can be found via the yellow pages.

District and borough councils have a responsibility to act on reports of flytipping, to remove the waste and find and prosecute the offenders. If the waste is hazardous, the council is responsible for ensuring public safety until the waste is removed.

The  business waste handbook (pdf / 3 MB) aims to help businesses manage their waste legally and save money. It provides information and tips for offices and businesses involved in catering, construction, retail, leisure and tourism, printing and manufacturing, and includes advice on reducing the amount of waste, reusing materials and recycling, as well as waste audits and a guide to legislation.

​Chat to us