Your local councillor will participate in committees representing your local area, and may be involved in a number of other committees.
Executive members for the controlling Conservative party group
The Executive, consisting of the leader and nine other councillors, makes most decisions, but decisions about the budget and major policy framework are made by the full council.
- Councillor Carl Les - leader of the council, also responsible for communications, safer communities and emergency planning
- Councillor Gareth Dadd - deputy leader, executive member for finance, assets and resources, and special projects
- Councillor Derek Bastiman - executive member for open to business, including economic development, regulatory services, the management of waste disposal and the integration of waste collection. Responsibility for building relationships with businesses and with the LEP’s infrastructure board
- Councillor David Chance - executive member for corporate services, including legal and democratic services, overview and scrutiny committees, partnerships, performance management, customer contact, locality budgets, refugee and evacuee reception and support, NYLAF and Household Support Fund, member support, IT, complaints and compliments, customer services including the Council contact centre
- Councillor Keane Duncan – executive member for highways and transportation, both road and rail, plus bus services and engagement with Transport for the North
- Councillor Michael Harrison - executive member for health and adult services, including health and wellbeing board, health integration, extra care
- Councillor Simon Myers – executive member for planning for growth, the Council’s present responsibility and preparing for the new unitary authority, as well as culture, leisure, sport and housing responsibilities
- Councillor Janet Sanderson – executive member for children and young people’s services with responsibility for fostering and adoption, children’s social care, safeguarding and prevention
- Councillor Greg White – executive member for working in localities, including stronger communities, Area Constituency Committees, broadband and mobile telephony and to act as the Council’s digital champion, working with Parish and Town Councils, libraries, and other face to face contact points (Registrars, Coroners and Records), and the Council’s response to Climate Change
- Councillor Annabel Wilkinson - executive member for education, learning and skills, including early years, schools, apprenticeships, FE colleges, UTCs and engagement with the skills part of the LEP
Leaders of the other political groups
Download the constitution document to view up to date membership details of the committees.
There are five overview and scrutiny committees which look into how effectively the council is serving the needs of its communities and also scrutinise the work of the Executive. The scrutiny of health committee also reviews health service matters in the county. You can find full information about overview and scrutiny here.
There are six area constituency committees covering North Yorkshire. Each committee typically has 16 county councillors on it. The committee areas are aligned with the six constituency boundaries of the North Yorkshire MPs. The area constituency committees have been established as part of the council’s drive to devolve decision making.
The committees meet every three months, or more frequently. They aim to improve the quality of life for people in their area by acting as a ‘critical friend’ to policy makers and decision makers, enabling the voice and concerns of the public to be heard and driving improvements in public services. They have responsibilities for promoting strategies and taking an overview of the effectiveness of public services.
You can find out about past and upcoming meetings of these committees, and access agendas, minutes and reports, via these links.
The council also has a number of other committees. You can view agendas and minutes via the following links.
- Archive committee
- Appeals (Home to School Transport) Committee
- Assistant Director Library Customer and Community Services and Executive Member
- Audit Committee
- Business and Environmental Services Corporate Director and Executive Members Meeting
- Care and Independence Overview and Scrutiny Committee
- Chief Officers Appointments and Disciplinary Committee
- Chief Officers Appointments and Disciplinary Sub-Committee
- Corporate and Partnerships Overview and Scrutiny Committee
- Corporate Director - Children and Young Peoples Service and Executive Member Meetings
- Corporate Director - Health and Adult Services and Executive Member
- Corporate Director - Health and Adult Services and Executive Member for Social Care and Integration
- CYPS Corporate Director and Executive Members meeting
- Employment Appeals Committee
- Health and Wellbeing Board
- Howardian Hills AONB
- Joint Committee of Corporate Partnerships OSC and Transport, Economy and Environment OSC
- Joint Sub-Committee Transport, Economy and Environment and Scrutiny of Health Committees
- Local Access Forum
- Local Government North Yorkshire and York
- North Yorkshire Police, Fire and Crime Panel
- North Yorkshire Outbreak Management Board
- North Yorkshire Standing Advisory Council on Religious Education (SACRE)
- Pension Board
- Pension Fund Committee
- Planning and Regulatory Functions Committee
- Planning and Regulatory Functions Sub-Committee
- Police and Crime Panel Complaints Sub-Committee
- Scrutiny of Health Committee
- Shareholder Committee
- Standards Committee
- Transport, Economy and Environment Overview and Scrutiny Committee
- Young People Overview and Scrutiny Committee
- YPO Audit Sub-Committee
- YPO Executive Sub-Committee
- YPO Management Committee
- YPO Scrutiny Sub-Committee