Your local councillor will participate in committees representing your local area, and may be involved in a number of other committees.
Executive members for the controlling Conservative party group
The Executive, consisting of the leader and nine other councillors, makes most decisions, but decisions about the budget and major policy framework are made by the full council.
- Councillor Carl Les - leader of the council, also responsible for communications, emergency planning and community safety
- Councillor Gareth Dadd - deputy leader, executive member for finance and assets, and special projects, including financial and HR performance management
- Councillor Janet Sanderson - executive member for children's services
- Councillor Patrick Mulligan - executive member for education and skills, including early years, schools, apprenticeships, FE colleges and UTCs, and engagement with the skills agenda of the LEP
- Councillor Don Mackenzie - executive member for access, including highways, road and rail transport, public transport; broadband, mobile phones; public rights of way
- Councillor David Chance - executive member for stronger communities, including committee services, legal services, corporate development, overview and scrutiny committees, area committees, performance management and locality budgets
- Councillor Michael Harrison - executive member for health and adult services, including health and wellbeing board, health integration, extra care
- Councillor Caroline Dickinson - executive member for public health, prevention and supported housing, including sustainability and transformation plans (issues relating to Friarage and Darlington Hospitals)
- Councillor Andrew Lee - executive member for open to business, including growth, economic development, planning, waste management, trading standards unit and business relations
- Councillor Greg White - executive member for customer engagement, including contact centre, website, libraries, digital, and performance management (complaints and compliments)
Leaders of the other political groups
Download the constitution document to view up to date membership details of the committees.
There are five overview and scrutiny committees which look into how effectively the council is serving the needs of its communities and also scrutinise the work of the Executive. The scrutiny of health committee also reviews health service matters in the county. You can find full information about overview and scrutiny here.
There are six area constituency committees covering North Yorkshire. Each committee typically has 13 county councillors on it. The committee areas are aligned with the six constituency boundaries of the North Yorkshire MPs. The area constituency committees have been established as part of the council’s drive to devolve decision making.
The committees meet every three months, or more frequently. They aim to improve the quality of life for people in their area by acting as a ‘critical friend’ to policy makers and decision makers, enabling the voice and concerns of the public to be heard and driving improvements in public services. They have responsibilities for promoting strategies and taking an overview of the effectiveness of public services.
You can find out about past and upcoming meetings of these committees, and access agendas, minutes and reports, via these links.
The council also has a number of other committees. You can view agendas and minutes via the following links.
- Archive committee
- Appeals (Home to School Transport) Committee
- Assistant Director Library Customer and Community Services and Executive Member
- Audit Committee
- Business and Environmental Services Corporate Director and Executive Members Meeting
- Care and Independence Overview and Scrutiny Committee
- Chief Officers Appointments and Disciplinary Committee
- Chief Officers Appointments and Disciplinary Sub-Committee
- Corporate and Partnerships Overview and Scrutiny Committee
- Corporate Director - Children and Young Peoples Service and Executive Member Meetings
- Corporate Director - Health and Adult Services and Executive Member
- Corporate Director - Health and Adult Services and Executive Member for Social Care and Integration
- CYPS Corporate Director and Executive Members meeting
- Employment Appeals Committee
- Health and Wellbeing Board
- Howardian Hills AONB
- Joint Committee of Corporate Partnerships OSC and Transport, Economy and Environment OSC
- Joint Sub-Committee Transport, Economy and Environment and Scrutiny of Health Committees
- Local Access Forum
- Local Government North Yorkshire and York
- North Yorkshire Police and Crime Panel
- Pension Board
- Pension Fund Committee
- Planning and Regulatory Functions Committee
- Planning and Regulatory Functions Sub-Committee
- Police and Crime Panel Complaints Sub-Committee
- Scrutiny of Health Committee
- Shareholder Committee
- Standards Committee
- Transport, Economy and Environment Overview and Scrutiny Committee
- Young People Overview and Scrutiny Committee
- YPO Audit Sub-Committee
- YPO Executive Sub-Committee
- YPO Management Committee
- YPO Scrutiny Sub-Committee