Do you have the Enterprise Architect skills to help us transform and improve our services using new, innovative digital technologies?
Our services are undergoing continual transformation to make them more effective, efficient and accessible to the people who use them. This means embracing new technology, digital solutions and new ways of thinking.
We have created a highly successful customer portal and other digital services for the people of North Yorkshire and further developments are planned. We’ve made great transformational progress so far with these projects, but now we need someone to help drive this change forward, make further improvements and guide our response to future challenges.
We’re seeking an enthusiastic, self-motivated and experienced enterprise or solution architect to help us develop our digital transformation programs.
This is a fantastic opportunity for a current solutions or domain architect looking to step up to enterprise level architecture. You’ll be joining an increasingly digital organisation that is continually investing in our staff in order to drive performance and efficiency. We offer fully flexible working and a working environment that is second to none.
This is an important role in the continual development and delivery of our services and one in which you can make a real difference, both to the Council and people of North Yorkshire.
If you have the skills, experience and innovative state of mind and you’re up for the challenge, then apply today.
Find out more about the role below and read a case study on the type of work undertaken by the Enterprise Architecture team.
Salary: £48,000 to £55,840
Closing date: Sunday 22 September 2019
Shortlisting date: Monday 23 to Tuesday 24 September 2019
Interview dates: 2 or 3 October 2019
We need someone who can make effective transformation decisions and advise senior stakeholders across all enterprise architecture domains (business, application, data and technology). Above all, we need someone with a passion for improving systems and services though innovation and creative use of digital technologies.
Your main responsibilities:
- Leading the Enterprise Architecture team and creating overarching architecture principles and policies to guide decision making;
- Developing business and application capability models from target operating models;
- Leading market research, procurement and delivery of innovative solutions from suppliers;
- Providing leadership to other technical staff within our organisation;
- Using formal methods and tools to explain and document existing systems and to propose how to transform these systems, and
- Defining a technology strategy that supports desired business outcomes.
You’ll report to the Head of Technology Solutions within our highly regarded Technology & Change department. The role is based in Northallerton with flexible working available.
This role will be ideal for a solutions or domain architect looking for their next challenge and for a step up to enterprise level architecture. In particular, we’re looking for:
- Proven experience delivering enterprise business transformation through application delivery;
- A broad understanding of innovative technologies and the opportunities they provide business areas found within local government;
- Excellent communication, influencing and negotiation skills at senior manager level, both inside an IT team and across different business functions;
- A recognised qualification (e.g. TOGAF) and / or have demonstrable experience of IT disciplines; and
- Strong leadership skills, with the self-motivation to work independently, as well as part of a team, to deliver key strategic outcomes.
Like many other local government organisations, North Yorkshire County Council had a number of systems which provided self-service customer offerings. However, each system operated separately, with individual login details, different presentation standards and inconsistent user journeys.
To improve the customer experience and encourage the adoption of self-service channels, we established a cross-cutting Customer Programme as part of our overall 2020 Transformation Strategy. The Enterprise Architecture team, working with the Customer Programme, developed a set of customer principles which included implementing a single customer account and self-service portal.
The portal would provide one place for customers to go to access all self-service functions, automatically update customers on the progress of their requests, and provide a view of all service transactions undertaken.
The Enterprise Architecture team then worked with all the stakeholders to develop a roadmap of capabilities to support the planned business functions. Following assessment of options, an architecture was proposed which utilised a combination of Open Source products, in-house developed components and integration with business and corporate systems, including our Customer Relationship Management solution. The architecture also supports transactions on the telephone channel and utilises our Power BI platform for performance reporting across the services.
The service was designed from the outset to be suitable for use across all types of device with an emphasis on mobile first. Since the go-live of the first service in October 2015 further capabilities have been added, including appointment booking, document and image upload and online payments. The platform has also been re-used to deliver services to organisations such as our parish councils and schools that utilise our employment support services.
The portal now provides access to a range of business services including:
- highways fault reporting;
- concessionary travel passes;
- blue badges;
- social care assessments; and
- registrars bookings.
More services are planned for the future.
The solution provides 24-7 availability to customers, allowing them to access services at a time and place convenient to them.
The platform now supports over 5,000 transactions per month and has over 40,000 registered users.
On average, 80 per cent of service requests are now completed via the Customer Portal.
Find out about working for Technology & Change
Technology & Change is an exciting, innovative and friendly service to work for, with staff committed to supporting services across the Council to deliver the best possible outcomes to our local residents.
The benefits of working for North Yorkshire County Council are:
- The opportunity to work from home;
- An established flexi-time system;
- Generous annual leave;
- A strong commitment to staff development, with many training and development opportunities available; and
- Good transport links in the area, including road and rail.
This is an exciting opportunity to join an ambitious team during a time of considerable change, and contribute to the challenges and opportunities that exist, both present and future.