We carry out a financial assessment to decide how much you will pay for the social care services you receive.

The amount you pay will depend on your income and savings, compared to the cost of providing the services.

Before the financial assessment

After the level of care services you need has been agreed between you and your care co-ordinator, they will ask a benefits and assessments officer to visit you to complete a financial assessment. You will be told which documents you will need to provide. The officer will also make sure that you are receiving all the welfare benefits you are entitled to.

If you have savings and / or capital at, or over £23,250 (for the financial year 2017-18 - this figure is reviewed by central government each year) you will be asked to pay the full cost of providing the services you receive. It is therefore important that you seek information and advice to ensure that you make informed choices about your care and how you pay for it before your enter into any arrangements.

During the assessment

The benefits and assessments officer will explain the four-step assessment process, which includes working out your weekly income and taking into account general living and housing costs, plus any extra costs linked to your disability, for example excessive heating costs. From this information, your assessable income will be worked out and compared with the cost of providing care. If the officer has all the information he or she needs, you will be told the maximum weekly amount you could be expected to pay at the time of the assessment.

After the assessment

The benefits and assessments officer will confirm the weekly charge for your care in writing and arrange for you to receive invoices on a four-weekly basis. The officer will also deal with any applications for welfare benefits. In general, the financial assessment is carried out on your income alone. However, in some circumstances it is beneficial to consider a couple's income (by couple we mean you and your husband / wife / partner).

Changes in circumstances and assessment reviews

If your circumstances change, let us know. This will allow us to complete a new financial assessment or review your welfare benefits entitlement. You can also request a re-assessment at any time if your circumstances change.

Guide to the care options available

Our health and adult services are here to support you in exploring the care options available. If you think you may need some form of care and support, see the paying for social care services page.

What you should expect to pay

We have produced this guidance booklet that explains  what you should expect to pay for care services in 2017-18 (pdf / 169 KB).

Rate this page