Food safety is vital for your business. Customers look for a positive experience when consuming foods and you are responsible for providing safe food.

Food safety and standards for business

The safety, labelling and composition of foods is controlled by a wide range of regulations. Our trading standards service works with many types of food businesses throughout the county to ensure they produce safe and legally compliant foods which they can sell with confidence.

The trading standards service can provide robust, legally assured advice on the labelling of foods and the controls for allergenic ingredients within a business. The service can help you get it right first time by providing expert advice on the food standards requirements for your products.

Food standards cover labelling and compositional standards. The trading standards service ensures that consumers get food of the nature and quality they expect and that traders are competing with each other on a level playing field. There are mandatory requirements for the labelling of foods as well as compositional standards for foods like jams, pies and chocolate. See our food advice and guidance leaflets for more information.

Food safety training and advice

Trading standards advice can be free if you are a new business or you are branching out into a new venture but is chargeable if the business has been up and running for more than two years. All our officers who provide the advice are chartered trading standards practitioners who are familiar with food processes and the risks involved. Advice can be through a variety of means such as by phone, email or face-to-face meetings and training packages. See our support for North Yorkshire businesses page for more details.

Allergens and control of allergenic ingredients within a business is vitally important to ensure the safety of your customers. Our trading standards officers can help with this requirement by providing one-to-one training for you and your staff.

Our officers work with other agencies such as the Food Standards Agency and environmental health officers from district councils. Trading standards is responsible for food labelling, composition and allergen control. Hygiene and foreign body matters are dealt with by environmental health officers.

When starting a food business you must first register your business premises with environmental health through your local district council:

Contact us

For Trading Standards business advice, please contact Trading Standards and we will be happy to help.