Information about Hawes library and customer services centre including contact details and services offered.
Hawes library and customer services centre
This library is managed and operated by volunteers working in partnership with North Yorkshire County Council.
Library opening hours
- Monday, 9am to 5pm
- Tuesday, 9am to 5pm
- Wednesday, 9am to 5pm
- Thursday, 9am to 5pm
- Friday, 9am to 5pm
- Saturday, 9am to 12pm
- Sunday, closed
Finding the library, parking and access
The library is located at the end of an alley called the Neukin between the Bay Tree Café and the Bull's Head Hotel, opposite to Elijah Allen's Grocers Shop.
No parking spaces are available at the library but parking is available on Main Street. There are also two pay and display car parks, one at the Dales Countryside Museum and the other in Gayle Lane. Buses stop in the marketplace, only a three minute walk away. The library is wheelchair accessible.
Items available from the library
You can borrow a range of books for all ages in a variety of formats, including large print and audio. Music CDs, DVDs and foreign language titles are also available for loan, as well as micro:bits. You can request any item that is not immediately available.
Information and facilities at the library
- family history
- free online access to Ancestry.com, Find My Past, the British Newspaper Archive and Access to Research
- free wi-fi
- help and support using IT
- internet and computer access
- local studies
- meeting rooms available for hire
- parents' collection
- photocopying, printing and scanning
- shared services (see below)
Activities at the library
For further information about any of the activities below, please contact the library.
News and events
There are a number of opportunities to volunteer at the library. See the library volunteering page or ask at the library for further details.
In addition to the usual library services, you can also access some services provided by other organisations at the library. These are:
Richmondshire District Council
- Pay your rent, council tax and business rates.
- Make refuse collection enquiries, including garden waste and bulky refuse.
- Buy car park permits.
- Enquire about housing and benefits.
You can find more details on the services available from the Richmondshire District Council Upper Wensleydale Community Office web page.
North Yorkshire Police Authority
You can find more details from www.northyorkshire.police.uk.
Hawes Post Office
- bill payments
- car tax payments
- cash withdrawals and deposits using chip and pin
- Euros and US dollars currency and foreign currency pre-ordering service
- postal services and postal orders
- Post Office card accounts and travel money cards
You can find more details from www.postoffice.co.uk.
Hawes Community Office (UWCP Ltd)
- coffee machine
- free wi-fi
- projector and projector screen hire
You can find more details from www.hawescommunityoffice.co.uk.
- barcoded bill payments
- electric key top-up
- mobile phone top-up
- TV licence payments
You can find more details from www.paypoint.com.
Little White Bus
This community bus service provides scheduled and demand responsive services. You can find more details from www.littlewhitebus.co.uk.