Health and care resources for SEND children and young people

Find out about health and care services for children with special educational needs and disabilities.

Health and care services in North Yorkshire are provided by a number of different services as well as the county council itself.

Health services are often commissioned on a locality basis, although some are delivered by a single health provider across the whole county. Each commissioned service will have its own:

  • agreed eligibility criteria (who can access the service); and 
  • agreed referral criteria (how to access the service).

A health services glossary has been developed to provide some general information on the types of health care provision for children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities in North Yorkshire. This glossary is linked to the local offer's interactive map, which will let you see where your local services are.  You can access the health services glossary here (pdf / 36 KB)Please also see the important referral information below.

If you have any questions regarding any of the health services mapped in the local offer, and whether your child might benefit from referral, please discuss these with your GP or any of the existing health professionals involved with the care of your child.


During the time when you are meeting (and are involved) with health care professionals, they may suggest and organise a referral. This might be in relation to your child's health needs and / or in relation to any outcomes which may have been discussed at family meetings.

For the majority of services you will require a referral from a health professional and an appointment. To avoid any unnecessary travel, please do not opportunistically attend any of the service venues listed, unless the service description explicitly advises otherwise.

Funding for specialist equipment

Some children and young people will need specialist equipment in place at their educational setting. The following is a brief summary of where responsibility for funding such equipment lies. Further guidance on responsibilities for equipment can be found via the links in the information for practitioners section.

    Item School Health LA Comment
    Personal care     Items such as nappy bags, plastic gloves etc. are a reasonable adjustment for the school to provide and are personal protective equipment (PPE) rather than medical equipment.
    Medical     A child who needs things like syringes, continence pads, inhalers, blood glucose testers, sharps boxes etc. would get these prescribed.
    Fixed hoists     For ceiling mounted hoists then strategic services may fund.
    Mobile hoists   Mobile hoists are not particularly specialist equipment in a special school such as the Dales School, as it can be used by a number of pupils there.  Therefore, these should be funded by the school as part of their standard equipment. However, in a special school such as Brompton Hall School which doesn’t generally cater for physical needs then it might be considered specialist and the equipment panel would need to consider this.
    Slings     Slings, which are used with hoists, are individual to a child and a school can request funding from our children’s specialist equipment budget for these.
    Wheelchairs     If a child or young person meets the criteria for a wheelchair then these come via the wheelchair centre.
    Specialist seating   ? Many children and young people with physical needs who attend special schools require specialist seating.  This is not the same as a wheelchair but some people confuse the terminology as they are on wheels.  The first £500* rule applies and schools may also request top up, although this will not be automatic. 

    Many children and young people with physical needs who attend special schools require specialist seating.  This is not the same as a wheelchair but some people confuse the terminology as they are on wheels.  The first £500* rule applies and schools may also request top up, although this will not be automatic. 

    Transforming care programme

    Transforming care is about making health and care work better for children and young people with autism or learning disabilities. It is the name used to describe how health, social care and education should work together to improve health and care services in local areas. Find out more about the transforming care programme here.

    Further information

    Personal health budgets are the allocation of NHS funding to support a person's health and wellbeing needs. A budget can be spent on anything that is set out in a support plan and agreed with the local NHS team. It can be held by the individual, a third party or a statutory body. Patients or service users, after an assessment, are able to personally control and use for the services they choose to support their health needs. Anyone eligible for continuing healthcare funding, including children, has a right to ask for and receive a personal health budget.

    The essential parts of a personal health budget

    The person with the personal health budget (or their representative) will:

    • be able to choose the health and wellbeing outcomes they want to achieve, in agreement with a healthcare professional;
    • know how much money they have for their health care and support;
    • be enabled to create their own care plan, with support if they want it;
    • be able to choose how their budget is held and managed, including the right to ask for a direct payment; and
    • be able to spend the money in ways and at times that make sense to them, as agreed in their plan.

    Children and young people eligible for continuing healthcare funding may include those with needs arising from:

    • disability;
    • illness or life limiting conditions;
    • accident; or
    • palliative care.

    Continuing care can be considered only if the needs of the child or young person can not be met from existing universal and specialist services.

    For more information about personal health budgets, contact your NHS continuing care team on 0300 303 8294.

    Further information on personal health budgets in your area

    Further information about personal health budgets in your local area can be found as follows.

    Airedale, Wharfedale and Craven
    Via the continuing healthcare team (single point of access) - 01274 423003

    Hambleton, Richmondshire and Whitby 
    Via the CCG website here.

    Harrogate and Rural District
    Via the CCG website here.

    Scarborough and Ryedale
    Via the CCG website here.

    Vale of York
    Via the CCG website here.

    Children's hospices provide specialist respite and terminal care for children suffering from life limiting conditions in a home-to-home environment.

    More information about hospice care is available here.

    Information about supporting and promoting good emotional and mental health in North Yorkshire can be found in the  children and young people's emotional and mental health strategy 2014-17 (pdf / 9 MB).

    The following links may also provide useful information on health provision.

    Clinical commissioning groups organise the local delivery of certain NHS services in England. The following groups operate within the North Yorkshire area:

    National health websites