We are living longer and need to think about our future and how we want to be cared for, including the costs of social care and how we pay for it.

Anyone with assets over £23,250 is responsible for the full cost of their care. It is therefore important that you seek information and advice to ensure that you make informed choices about your care and how you pay for it before you enter into any arrangements. There is potential for people to face huge bills for their care and we want to help residents plan better.

If you're working out how to pay for long-term care - for yourself or a loved one - an independent care fees adviser can offer unbiased expert advice. Find out more about what they can do for you, how they are paid and how to choose one that's right for you by visiting the Money Advice Service.

Social care to suit your needs

You should look at the different types of social care housing available before you decide what would best suit your needs.

Alternatively, you could remain in your own home but with social care support to help you continue to live independently.

Charges you may have to pay in social care housing

Read more information about paying for care in a residential or nursing home. We carry out a financial assessment to decide how much you will pay for the social care services you receive.

All financial help is based on a means-tested assessment. You can start this process by completing our online self-assessment form to find out if you will need to pay for your care.

Deferred payment agreement

A deferred payment agreement is an arrangement with us that will enable you to use the value of your home to help pay care home costs.

If you are eligible, we will help to pay your care home bills on your behalf. You can delay repaying us until you choose to sell your home, or until after your death.

See our deferred payment agreements page for more information, including the costs involved.