Home education or homeschooling is where parents choose to educate their child at home. Parents must ensure their children receive a suitable education.

Whilst most parents choose to use schools, it is the legal right of parents to educate their children at home if they wish and we will co-operate with those parents who make this choice.

Where parents or carers are considering home education for their child:

  • either before they start any schooling (but are approaching statutory age); or
  • as an alternative to the existing school a child is already attending:

we will provide a home visit by a family outreach worker to ensure the family are aware of the processes, any requirements and what guidance or resources are available to support them.

Children with special educational needs

You can still request an education, health and care plan (EHCP) assessment for your child even if they are home educated. We will review the progress of a child with an EHCP every year, but we do not provide home tuition or funding for home tutors for a child who is homeschooled.

A few parents decide to home educate because school isn’t going well for their child; maybe they are stressed and find it hard to get there, maybe they have been excluded several times. In these cases we would recommend that you contact SENDIASS for advice before making the decision to home educate as we may be able to support their placement in school, or suggest other options.

External examination centres that may accept home educated children

If your child is home educated and they want to take external examinations, such as GCSEs or A levels, you should arrange for these to be held at a registered examination centre.

You should contact the centre directly to make the request, which is at the discretion of the centre. You will be expected to pay for any costs incurred by the centre, such as examination fees and invigilator costs.

The following centres have indicated they may be willing to take external candidates. Some other schools and colleges will accept ex-pupils as external candidates.

Centre Contact name Contact details
Scarborough Pupil Referral Service Julia Waines Email: jwaines@scarboroughpru.n-yorks.sch.uk
Tel: 01723 330629
The Skipton Academy Alyson Robinson Email: a.robinson@theskiptonacademy.co.uk
Tel: 01756 792965
Upper Wharfedale School Ruth Hayton Email: admin@uws.n-yorks.sch.uk
Tel: 01756 752215
York Learning
(for GCSE Maths and English only)
Diane Brown Email: diane.brown@york.gov.uk
Tel: 01904 552195

Useful documents

Other resources