Find information about council housing, gypsy and traveller sites and homelessness.

We provide some housing services, and others are provided by your district or borough council. If you need information about home repair services, you can find this here.

Derelict or empty properties

In some cases, the local council may compulsorily purchase long-term empty, insecure or unsafe properties for renovation or demolition. This is the responsibility of borough and district councils. 

Council housing

Housing services are provided by the seven borough and district councils or their corresponding housing associations. They provide social housing services, including council housing, support for tenants, maintenance and repair of social housing, preventing homelessness, and other issues connected with housing.


The way in which each local authority runs their homelessness services varies in each council area. All enquiries relating to adult homelessness should be made with the relevant district or borough council. 

Housing Solutions @ The Hub operates in each of the local council areas in North Yorkshire, and provides an assessment and support service to young people aged 16 to 25 who are at risk of becoming homeless. You can also view more homelessness information on the North Yorkshire strategic housing partnership website.

Gypsy and traveller sites

We own seven official gypsy/traveller sites situated throughout the county. All of the sites are managed on behalf of the council. The sites are situated as follows:

  • Thirsk (Hambleton)
  • Stokesley (Hambleton)
  • Bickerton (Harrogate)
  • Thistle Hill (Harrogate)
  • Catterick (Richmondshire)
  • Carlton (Selby)
  • Burn (Selby)