Find out about the independent support you can receive and the role of an independent supporter.
You can get help, support and advice from an independent supporter. They are independent of the local authority and trained to provide this type of support.
The role of the independent supporter is to:
- help the parent or young person understand the local education, health and care plan assessment process and local offer;
- act as an independent and impartial contact person for the parent or young person throughout the assessment and planning process;
- focus on the task of helping parents and young people to be fully involved in the transfer of a statement of special educational needs to an education, health and care plan (through transfer reviews);
- work with parents and young people who are coming up to school leaving age;
- liaise across a range of local services with the parent or young person to help gather information required for an education, health and care plan;
- provide information to parents and young people on personal budgets; and
- signpost parents and young people to the SEND information, advice and support service when the issue is outside the remit of the independent supporter.
Independent support is available in a variety of ways
- A dedicated, independent telephone support service is available between 9am and 9pm on weekdays, and 9am to 5pm on weekends.
- Access is available to a trained independent supporter, with the option of follow-up face-to-face support if needed from a person who is independent of the local authority and trained to provide this support.
- A dedicated, independent website provides information, signposting and resource links as well as the option for support and information exchanges via emails.
- Various outreach information and support points across a range of community venues and services including information groups.
Independent support from Core Assets children's services group
Core Assets children's services group will work primarily with families where the child or young person is transferring from a statement of special educational needs or learning difficulty assessment to an education, health and care plan. For further information please contact them on 0800 028 8455 or email email@example.com.
Alternatively, you can make a direct enquiry through the Core Assets website.