Music Centres

Due to Covid19, Music Centres are currently not running.

In addition to weekly lessons we also provide performance opportunities in an ensemble setting in six Music Centres across the County. The Centres provide a stimulating and enjoyable musical environment and lead to membership of senior bands and orchestras which put on performances of an extremely high standard in the most prestigious venues in the County.

Centre sessions have traditionally taken place on Saturday mornings though - we are additionally now looking to respond positively where there is a demand for week night activities.

Music Centre take place in:

Music Centres Manager Email Telephone
Harrogate Will Osborn 01609 534979
07791 758941
Northallerton Su Evans 01609 536715
07816 174 090
Scarborough Ralph Alder 01609 533249
07779 458 256
Skipton Will Osborn 01609 534979
07791 758941
Selby Hannah Hebden 01609 533853
07816 174 088
Whitby Ralph Alder 01609 533249
07779 458 256


Music Centre Fees : Financial year 2020 / 2021*

* Prices and Remissions confirmed from Easter 2020 to Easter 2021
Number of Sessions at Music Centre                    Termly fees*                   
One Session (week day or Saturday) £48.40
Two Sessions (week day and/or Saturday) £60.40
Three Sessions (week day plus Saturday) £108.80
ADULT** One session ( week day or Saturday) £65.00
ADULT** Two sessions ( week day and/or Saturday) £80.80



One Session = £19.36 Two Sessions = £24.16 Three Sessions = £43.52

Working Tax Credit

One Session = £24.20 Two Sessions = £30.20 Three Sessions = £ 54.40
Pupils stopping Music Centre: we request payment of fees up to the end of half term in which we receive written notification that the pupils will be stopping
** NB: Remission of fees is not available for Adult members of Music Centres

** Eligible to claim Free School Meals by receipt of one of the following:

  • Child Tax Credit with annual income of below £16,190** (as stated on Award letter) and not receiving Working Tax Credit
  • Income Support / Job Seekers Allowance (Income based)
  • Income-Related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
  • Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • Universal Credit with yearly income below £7,400

**NB – Annual income value applicable from April 2019

If you wish to claim fee remission for your child, please enclose proof of your entitlement together with your fee payment - the evidence will be returned to you and your claim will be treated in strict confidence.


Personal Accident Cover

The County Council only insures against injury caused to children and other third parties, and damage caused to their property as a result of the negligence of the Authority, its servants or agents and does not insure to pay compensation following any accidental injury suffered by a pupil/student that isn’t the result of negligence of the Authority. It is the responsibility of the parent to arrange and pay premiums for personal accident insurance they require in respect of any injury caused or suffered by their child.

Loan or Hire of County Instruments

The Authority does not insure instruments. If your child has the loan of a Music Centre instrument, or is hiring a County Music Service instrument, it is a requirement that the instrument is insured with all risks cover. It may be possible to provide such cover for a musical instrument as part of your household insurance policy, this varies between companies – it is vital that you check. There are companies specialising in musical instrument insurance – details can be obtained from your insurance broker.