Our trading standards team offers energy efficiency advice for people living in rented accommodation.

As energy costs rise, we’re all looking to improve the energy efficiency of our homes, but what about if you rent your property?

You may be familiar with Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs), which give information about the energy efficiency of a property ranging from A (very efficient) to G (least efficient). You should be provided with a copy of this by your landlord.

If you live in a property that is currently rated F or G on your EPC, your landlord should put measures in place to raise the rating to a minimum of E, to reduce the emissions the property produces in accordance with the Domestic Minimum Energy Efficiency Standard (MEES) regulations.

A toy house on a table with keys to the left of it.

This applies whether you live in local authority or private housing, or if you sub-let from someone else, as long as the tenancy is for between six months and 99 years.

There are some exemptions for listed or protected buildings, temporary buildings or properties that have had all relevant improvements made but the rating still remains below E.

Landlords, find more information about this.