Licence for the sale and storage of fireworks and explosives

You will need a licence from us if you sell or store explosives, including fireworks.

Fireworks and explosives must be stored safely and securely. You will need a licence from us if you store or sell fireworks to show you are fit to do so, and you will be subject to periodic inspections to ensure your premises complies with all of the legal requirements.

The type of licence you need will depend on when you intend to sell or store fireworks. Standard licences will apply if you are selling or storing fireworks or explosives during the typical fireworks seasons; however you can also apply for an all year round licence if you are planning to trade outside of these times.

We may refuse an application if we consider the storage site to be unsuitable on safety grounds, or if there is evidence to suggest the applicant is not a fit person to store fireworks or explosives.

Explosives covered by the licence

  • ammunition and shooters' powders
  • blasting explosives
  • fireworks (pyrotechnics)
  • gunpowder
  • marine flares

Apply for a licence

You can get a licence by completing and returning one of the application forms below.

All new applications must be accompanied by a site plan.

In submitting an application for a storage licence or sales licence your information may be shared with police and fire service colleagues.

Please send a cheque or postal order, made payable to North Yorkshire County Council, along with your application form to:

North Yorkshire County Council
Growth Planning and Trading Standards
Unit 4/5, Block B
Thornfield Business Park
Standard Way


Fees vary depending on the quantity and type of fireworks that you store, and may also be subject to annual increases.

Application type Fee
Licence less than 250kg (new application) £111
Licence less than 250kg (renewal application) £55
Licence between 250kg and 2,000kg (new application) £189
Licence between 250kg and 2,000kg (renewal application) £88
All year round licence to sell fireworks £500

Storage of fireworks between 250kg and 2,000kg may be subject to separation distances.

Other licences for explosives

Some explosives, including blasting explosive and gunpowder, require a certificate from North Yorkshire Police.

Licences for manufacturing explosives must be obtained from the Health and Safety Executive.

Further information

Our trader information sheet provides detailed information about the storage of fireworks. Our Retailers Firework Storage Suitability page will help you assess the type of storage you currently have.

Contact us

If you have any queries relating to the licences, or would like to discuss whether you need a licence, please contact us and we will be happy to help. You can also contact us by email at