Support for you and your family after a dementia diagnosis, with information about our partner services, Making Space and Dementia Forward.
After your diagnosis, you might be feeling overwhelmed, confused and sad, or anxious, nervous and not sure where to turn for help.
It's important that you consider what you want to do next. You might want to:
- find someone to talk to;
- find out a bit more about dementia and how your dementia might manifest;
- attend a group or service in your area; and / or
- think about planning for your future.
Our partners across North Yorkshire offer support and guidance to people with dementia, their families, friends, carers, health professionals and communities, no matter what stage you are at in your journey.
|Where do you live?||Where to go to for support||Telephone helplines|
|Scarborough and Ryedale districts||Making Space - Scarborough||01723 371958|
|Hambleton or Richmondshire||Making Space - Northallerton||01609 771089|
|Skipton area and Craven district||Making Space - Keighley||01535 606086|
|Harrogate district||Dementia Forward||01765 601224|
|Selby district||Dementia Forward||01904 692473|
|Vale of York||Dementia Forward||01904 692473|
Adult social care
You can find out more about our social care offer here. You can complete our online assessment which helps you identify what type of help and support you might need and what you could do next.
Support for your carers, supporters and family
- Our carers section gives information and support to your immediate family or whoever is directly looking after you.
- We can offer a carers assessment which will help you identify the help you may need.
- We can signpost you to local support groups and other advice.
During this time you will be learning how to live well with your dementia and to maximise the things you can do. Things that you might want to consider include the options for treatments, and keeping up general health including eating a balanced diet, and exercise. There's plenty of advice in our 'staying healthy' section.
More useful links
See the following web pages for more information on memory problems and dementia:
- Age UK - dementia
- Alzheimer's Disease International
- Alzheimer's Research UK
- Carers UK
- City of York Council - support for people with dementia
- Dementia Forward
- Dementia Friends
- Dementia Action Alliance
- Dementia UK
- Dementia Engagement and Empowerment Project
- Join dementia research
- Making Space
- North Yorkshire partnerships - dementia
- Prime Minister's challenge on dementia 2020
- The Alzheimer's Society
- Young Dementia