The government requires us to publish plans for maintaining and improving all aspects of local transport over a five year period.
The local transport plan is a set of documents that the government requires all local transport authorities to produce. The documents set out our plans and strategies for maintaining and improving all aspects of the local transport system over a set period of time.
As the highway authority, we are responsible for all adopted roads and footways within North Yorkshire and for the management, maintenance and improvement of the highway network. The highway network consists of approximately 9,200km of road, 4,000km of footway, 47,000 streetlights and 2,000 bridges.
As well as improvement schemes, the plan also delivers maintenance schemes, highway and footway repair and improvement and replacement of bridges and structures.
There have been a number of local transport plans since 2001, the latest coming into effect from April 2016.
Local transport plan four (LTP4) - from April 2016 onwards
The following local transport plan document sets out the council's priorities, plans and strategies for managing, maintaining and improving all aspects of the local transport system for the next 30 years.
The local transport plan was approved by the county council in February 2016.
- Local transport plan four (LTP4) - executive summary (pdf / 2 MB)
- Local transport plan four (LTP4) - full (pdf / 67 MB)
Over the next few years these policies will be reviewed, amended and added to, and will be made available online for you to read.
- Traffic signals asset management plan (pdf / 1 MB)
- 20mph zones and limits - December 2006
- Highway safety inspection manual - April 2017 (pdf / 4 MB)
- Highways infrastructure asset management policy - July 2019
- Highways infrastructure asset management strategy - July 2019
- General highways asset management plan
- Street lighting asset management plan - May 2016 (pdf / 827 KB)
- Parking strategy - October 2011 (pdf / 195 KB)
- Residents parking scheme policy - March 2012 (pdf / 677 KB)
- Signing policy for tourist destinations - April 2014 (pdf / 869 KB)
Previous local transport plans, Strategic environmental assessment and the Local transport plan consultation are available on request. Please contact us for further information.