Information about post-16 education and training options available to young people as they move from children's services into adulthood.

Look here for information about post-16 education and training options available to young people as they move from children's services into adulthood.

It is important that young people with special educational needs and disabilities receive the right information, advice and support about the options available to them when they move from children's services into adulthood. This process is known as transitions.

Transitions into adulthood

Transition planning supports the young person's move into adulthood. This process usually starts when the young person is 14 and will involve the young person and their parents/families and can include teachers, council staff, health professionals and voluntary workers.

Information, advice and guidance

Specialist careers advisers work with young people from 14 up to 25, focusing on those who have or have had a statement of special educational needs (SEN) .They can also work in exceptional circumstances with young people without a statement. This might be where specific needs have been identified and the young person is, in many cases, supported by other agencies.

Specialist careers advisers will be able to discuss a range of post 16 options with the young person and their parents/carers. The options will include:

  • mainstream and special schools;
  • apprenticeships;
  • further education colleges;
  • independent specialist colleges; and
  • personalised learning pathways.


Post 16 support

More information is available on post 16 support in the  post-16 support leaflet (pdf / 995 KB) and in the video below:


Further information

Living Independently

Your housing options

Read the  SEND housing information (pdf / 95 KB) document for more about your housing options, or visit our SEND housing page for more in-depth information.

If you are already living independently

Sight or hearing difficulties

If you have sight or hearing difficulties, we can assess if you would benefit from social care services. We can also provide information and advice to help you maintain your independence. Your social care assessor will be able to provide training on specialist equipment. Information and support also includes Telecare services, rehabilitation services and support for carers.

More information is available on the independence at home page.

Specialist equipment

Some young people will need specialist equipment.  Some equipment can be provided on long-term loan and some can be provided free of charge. Support can also be provided in buying equipment. For more information on this, follow this link to the specialist equipment page on the council website or contact the customer contact centre. Staff will put you in touch with your specialist social worker, who will provide an assessment of your need. You can find out more about assessment on the needs assessment by social services page.

Home adaptations and therapists

If you have difficulties managing in your own home, it might be possible to offer home adaptations and aids to help you to live independently. An occupational therapist, or someone from health and adult services, can visit your home to discuss your needs. The therapist can also provide information about grant schemes and/or support. For more information, please contact the customer contact centre.

Find local offer services in North Yorkshire

The local offer community directory allows you to search online for a range of local offer information including childcare, support, activities, education, health and much more.

Launch our community directory