Find out about the citizenship nationality checking service and the costs involved.
We work with UK Visas and Immigration to offer a nationality checking service. This checks British citizenship applications to make sure your form has been filled in correctly before it is submitted to the Home Office.
As part of the service, we will:
- Check that you have completed your forms correctly;
- Photocopy and certify your documents, including your passport; and
- Send your application and fee to the Home Office by special delivery.
We cannot offer immigration or passport advice.
Using the nationality checking service is optional. On average, complete and accurate forms are processed more quickly by the Home Office than those that are incomplete or need further enquires.
Register offices providing this service
- Northallerton and Scarborough registration offices check applications on Mondays.
- Harrogate register office check applications on Wednesdays.
Frequently asked questions
You need to bring:
- Your completed British citizenship application form;
- Supporting documents, which are explained in the Home Office's application guidance notes; and
- A method of payment, such as debit or credit card or cheque, to pay the Home Office application fee.
Yes. After your appointment, we will forward your passport application form and payment details to the Home Office, along with the nationality checking service application form. If your citizenship application is successful, the Home Office will then process your passport application automatically.
If you wish to use this service you will need to pay an additional fee per application, in addition to the standard nationality checking service fees. You can view the fees here. Please note we can only offer this service together with an nationality checking service application.
You can view the nationality checking service fees here. The fee must be paid when the appointment is made.
If the Home Office approves your application for British citizenship, you will be required to attend a citizenship ceremony, which can be held at one of our registration offices. You may specify your preferred venue at the time of your application.