Libraries are encouraging people to support events aimed at improving the lives of those living with dementia during this year’s Dementia Action Week (20 to 26 May).
A fashion week, memory café and group singalong are just some of the activities being held in libraries across North Yorkshire.
Collections of dementia-themed Reading Well books, which help people to manage their health and wellbeing as well as that of people they care for, will be displayed at a number of the county’s libraries.
Organised by the Alzheimer’s Society, this year’s theme is encouraging people to start a conversation with people living with dementia without worrying about ‘saying the wrong thing’.
County Councillor Greg White, Executive Member for Libraries, said: “The library service aims to support the health and wellbeing of people living with dementia, to raise awareness and understanding, to promote self-help and to provide information and signposting to enable people to gain support.”
All libraries across North Yorkshire are dementia friendly and the service has a rolling programme of training in dementia awareness for staff and volunteers.
The team works with partners to host memory cafés, host a regular sporting memories session at Northallerton library and loan reminiscence collections to carers and groups supporting people with dementia.
Dementia Action Week activities include:
- Filey: Wednesday 22 May, 10.30am to 11.30am. Dementia Friends workshop run by Imogen Wormald. Free session, open to all who would like to become a Dementia Friend and support those with the condition;
- Filey: Filey fashion week, providing reminiscence through photographs of bygone days’ fashion to promote memories and discussion;
- Knaresborough: Tuesday 21 May, 7pm to 8.30pm. Dementia Friendly Knaresborough group is inviting local businesses to come and find out more about what they need to do to display the official ‘Working to become Dementia Friendly’ symbol;
- Northallerton: Monday 20 May, 10am to 11am. Dementia Friends talk by Dementia Champion Chris Riley. Spaces are limited and will be allocated on a first come first served basis;
- Northallerton: Monday 20 May, 11am to noon. Practical advice session to find out more on how to support people living with dementia. Spaces are limited and will be allocated on a first come first served basis;
- Northallerton: Wednesday 22 May, 10.30am to noon. Memory café. Monthly session delivered by Dementia Forward. This month’s theme is TV and radio memories of yesteryear. For more information, contact Janice on 03300 578592;
- Northallerton: Friday 24 May, 10am to noon. Free drop-in session with the Alzheimer’s Society promoting local services for people living with dementia. For more information, contact Jane Shepherd on 07801 833590 or email@example.com; and
- Pickering: Monday 13 May, 10.30am to noon. Musical Memories. Dementia Friendly singalong with www.musicalmemoriescic.org.uk. Entry costs £3 and includes refreshments. Booking is not required.