Authors of ‘must-read’ titles for the upcoming year will be visiting North Yorkshire libraries this spring for Read Regional 2020.
The campaign will see ten Northern authors take part in 70 events at libraries and festivals throughout the North of England, including Easingwold, Skipton and Newby and Scalby.
The ten chosen titles are made up of children’s, fiction, memoir and poetry. They will all remain available in the libraries after the campaign. Reading guides for each book can be downloaded at Read Regional.
The North Yorkshire events are as follows:
- Oliver Harris, author of A Shadow Intelligence, at Easingwold library on Thursday 5 March at 7pm;
- Horatio Clare, author of Icebreaker, at Newby and Scalby library on Thursday 7 May at 7pm; and
- Clara Barley, author of The Moss House, at Skipton library on Friday 15 May at 7pm.
Founded by New Writing North in 2008, the campaign is funded by Arts Council England and is produced in partnership by New Writing North, North Yorkshire County Council and 21 other library authorities.
“Read Regional is a brilliant campaign which is always well-supported in libraries across North Yorkshire,” said County Councillor Greg White, Executive Member for Libraries. “The North is bursting with talent so there is something for everyone. I would encourage everybody to visit their local library, borrow the must-read titles and meet some very talented authors.”
Claire Malcolm, chief executive of New Writing North, added: “If you don’t usually attend author events, why not try one for the first time in your local library – you’ll find a warm welcome and the chance to chat to writers in a relaxed setting. If you’re already a regular attender, Read Regional is a great way to discover new books to discuss with other readers and to make the most of the precious resource that is your local public library.”
The other books on the 2020 list are:
- A Witch Come True by James Nicol
- Remembered by Yvonne Battle-Felton
- The Blame Game by C. J. Cooke
- The Last Thing She Told Me by Linda Green
- Supper Club by Lara Williams
- The Celox and the Clot by Hafsah Aneela Bashir
- Baldwin’s Catholic Geese by Keith Hutson