Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman has been revealed as the most borrowed library book in North Yorkshire in 2018/19.
Figures show Honeyman’s fiction debut novel of 2017 was the most popular in the county, clocking 936 loans. Lee Child’s The Midnight Line was a close second with 874 loans.
Continuing the trend for thrillers, Michael Connelly had two books in the top ten, with The Wrong Two Kinds of Truth at number six and The Late Show at number seven.
Ann Cleeves was the second woman to make the top three with 851 loans. She had success the previous year when Cold Earth ranked fifth.
The most borrowed children’s title was The World’s Worst Children by David Walliams with 639 loans. This was over 200 more loans than last year’s winner, The Scarecrows’ Wedding by Julia Donaldson.
J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter books remain popular with youngsters, as The Chamber of Secrets and The Philosopher’s Stone both made the top ten. Julia Donaldson also secured three entries in the top six with The Ugly Five, What the Ladybird Heard Next and The Flying Bath.
Chrys Mellor, General Manager Libraries, said: “It is encouraging to see such a big increase in the number of children’s books borrowed over the last year. Initiatives such as the Summer Reading Challenge have been a great incentive to develop children’s reading skills and get them using their local library.”
Here is a list of the most borrowed adult fiction books 2018/19.
- Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine, Gail Honeyman (936)
- The Midnight Line, Lee Child (874)
- The Seagull, Ann Cleeves (851)
- Sleeping in the Ground, Peter Robinson (758)
- NYPD Red, James Patterson (731)
- Two Kinds of Truth, Michael Connelly (705)
- The Late Show, Michael Connelly (664)
- The Rooster Bar, John Grisham (659)
- Munich, Robert Harris (648)
- Dead If You Don’t, Peter James (644)
Here is a list of the most borrowed children’s books 2018/19.
- The World’s Worst Children, David Walliams (639)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, J. K. Rowling (596)
- The Ugly Five, Julia Donaldson (471)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone, J. K. Rowling (452)
- What the Ladybird Heard Next, Julia Donaldson (434)
- The Flying Bath, Julia Donaldson (403)
- DogZombies Rule (for Now), Liz Pichon (389)
- I Love You, Mummy Pig, Lauren Holowaty (363)
- Epic Adventure (Kind Of), Lauren Holowaty (357)
- The Long Haul, Jeff Kinney (354)