Open data, information sharing and data protection

Find out where money is spent by viewing spending details, how to access data we hold about you and about information shared with partners.

We publish our data so citizens can see how we work and where money is spent. The data is published in an accessible format and can be freely reused in accordance with the open data licence.

Data North Yorkshire

We now publish all of our open data on an open data platform called Data North Yorkshire. This allows you to search for, preview and download data from a wide range of areas on a number of different themes. There is also an API should you wish to reuse data subject to the open government licence below.

Partners using this platform include Craven, Hambleton, Ryedale and Selby District Councils, as well as North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service. 

Access Data North Yorkshire

Open data in government licence

You are only able to reuse the data on this page using the government's public sector open data licence.

Information sharing

Under the right circumstances and for the right reasons, information sharing between organisations can play a crucial role in providing a better and more efficient service to customers.

In order to share information more effectively, we have developed an information sharing protocol with our partners to ensure that information is being shared lawfully, appropriately and in compliance with best practice. It establishes consistent principles and practices to govern the sharing of personal and non-personal information that takes place within and between partner agencies.

It encourages partner agencies to share information to improve how we deliver services for residents and to support safeguarding, except where it would be unlawful to do so.

Background to the protocol

We share information with a variety of partners, for example, the police, fire or health services or local councils like district, borough, or City of York, for a range of services that we provide.

This is usually because these services are shared or in order to make a service more efficient and 'joined-up'. So for example, we may share information with partners in regard to a safeguarding issue.

A difficulty we face is that we often need to negotiate with partners on a repeated basis in order to share information. The protocol has been drafted to make sharing information easier and more streamlined, and includes features that are common to many services or data-sharing procedures. These features need not be renegotiated every time a piece of information needs to be shared, and only aspects of a service that are unique will need to be negotiated and agreed.

The protocol includes a template in appendix J to assist partners in identifying the points that still need to be agreed in relation to each separate element of data sharing. Where possible it offers lists of likely answers to the points that arise. 

The protocol and its template are intended to ensure that data sharing complies with the data sharing code of practice, and therefore with data protection law. The protocol governs the exchange of non-personal data as well.

Data protection

The Data Protection Act gives you rights over your personal data and imposes obligations on organisations like the council.

You have the right to ask to see the personal information the council holds about you. You just need to complete a  subject access request (doc / 100 KB).

You will usually need to  provide proof of your identity (pdf / 11 KB) and address and may need to pay a fee of up to £10, but we will tell you if this is the case. We do not charge for access to social care records, educational records or personnel records.

Upon receipt of a request, we will collect the requested information and send you a copy as soon as possible and in not more than 40 days.

You can request information on someone else's behalf, but we will need their written consent. You can also request information on behalf of someone who is unable to ask, for example a child for whom you have parental responsibility.

If you ask for information about another person that might infringe their privacy, we will usually tell them about the request to help us decide whether it is fair to provide the information. If you request information that has been given to us by another organisation, such as the NHS or a school, we will usually tell them.

In some circumstances, we may not be able to provide all the information you request. Reasons for this are explained in the  North Yorkshire County Council's procedure and appeals under the Data Protection Act 1998 (pdf / 59 KB) document. You can also  read our data protection policy here (pdf / 79 KB).

Frequently asked questions

Completing the online form is the simplest way to make a request.

You can also write to the information governance team with your name and address, indicating the information you would like.

Please provide as much detail as possible to help us locate all the information you want, for example any reference numbers given to you by the council, the departments or council officers you have dealt with or any previous names or addresses we might have for you.

Contact details

Information governance manager
Internal audit service
County Hall


Social care records are dealt with differently. Find out how to access social care information at the following pages:

Schools are responsible for their own requests for information, so requests should be sent directly to the relevant school.

If you are unhappy with how we handle your request or our reasons for not providing information, or you feel we have not complied with the Data Protection Act, you can write to the data management office to ask us to review your request.

Data management officer
County Hall


You also have the right to seek an independent review from the Information Commissioner. Write to:

The Information Commissioner
Wycliffe House 
Water Lane 

Tel: 01625 545700 
Fax: 01625 545510

Gender pay gap

Public sector bodies with more than 250 employees are now required to publish the following four types of figures annually:

  • Gender pay gap (mean and median averages);
  • Gender bonus gap (mean and median averages);
  • Proportion of men and women receiving bonuses; and
  • Proportion of men and women in each quartile of the pay structure.

You can  read the council's gender pay gap report for 2017 here (pdf / 727 KB).

Rate this page